Electronics-Lab.com Community

Electric Lock

Guest Kasamiko

Guest Kasamiko

I've seen a lot of electronics lock circuit on the net, touch controlled.keypad..uC controls..etc..
But to tell you all frankly I've NEVER SEEN the actual lock itself.. ::)
Is it magnetic..?? what?
anybody who can share some picture, schematic, functional description will be appreciated.. 
TIA

rhonn  ;) ;)

Hi Kasamiko

back in the 'ol bicycle shop days, my uncle showed me an electric lock that he'd designed, it consisted of a C and I core mains transformer with the C part fixed and the I part vertical and free to move laterally in a guide.  The free side of the I part was attached to a door-bolt so that when mains were applied to the transformer the I part jumped back to the core and completed the magnetic circuit pulling the bolt open.

Sorry if this sounds like a patent application but I've just changed PC's and haven't installed my drawing program yet, will try later.

Best of Luck

Ed

Guest Kasamiko

Thanks EdwardM..nice illustration you have..
Oh..btw, how can I open my door when there is a power failure? Is it battery backed-up?  ;D

rhonn  ;) ;)

I did a job in the new head office of a major bank that was under construction. The contractor installed electric locks that unlock during a fire-alarm. :o
The executives found-out how easy it would be to rob the place by pulling the alarm, and delayed the opening until the whole system was changed! ;D ;D ;D

Guest Alun

The magetic locks work on the same princuple as a magnetically latched relay. The only difference bieng a bolt is attached to the magnet instead of a switch. The coil is energised with one polarity and the magnet is attracted to the coil and the bolt is pulled in unlocking the door if the polarity is reversed the magnet will be repelled and the bolt is pushed out locking the door.