Electronics-Lab.com Community

Magnet Wire or Enameled Wire?

Xenobius

I would like to build a circuit which has a coil and it stated that it should be "FLAT MAGNET WIRE" . Ok I understand FLAT .. (any wire I choose must be bought Flat and not round and infact I found on the internet which is Flat) but I was searching a reliable shop and it stated that Magnet wire is a term used to show that the wire is going to be used in Winding transformers ..... As far as I know Transformers are wound with normal copper wire with insulated yellow stuff (forgot its name)

Anyways .. Could someone tell me what REALLY is Magnet wire? because I was thinking that the wire itself is made of magnet material and if you put a small piece of magnet wire near an iron, it would be attracted just like a magnet would do with a piece of iron... but all of a sudden I am thinking it is just a normal wire with insulation.

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Hi Xenobius

over the past few years I've designed a number of transformers and coils and whilst I keep hearing the term 'magnet wire' I've never used anything but single strand insulated copper wire.  My guess is that the wires insulation properties are geared toward the production of coils e.g. insulation class (temperature), resistance to chafing and breakdown voltage, no doubt other properties as well!

Hope this helps

Ed

Hi All,

thanks to tnk2k, I can can see that my post was not as unambiguous as it might have been...

single strand insulated copper wire

By this I mean enamelled copper wire.

As I said, I've heard the term 'Magnet Wire' but never in the UK, I suspect it's something originally from across the pond, perhaps someone from there could enlighten us?

All the Best

Ed

Ok this is stupid ... But i must ask.. Could somone help me by giving me IDEAs on how to make the coil ROUND flat on the table not as we usually see it wound on a rod.

I am trying al sort of stuff but the coil just doesn't come roundish ... any ideas on how to make it perfectly round with perfect spaces in between? maybe a smal mechanical machine ? thanks

Hi Xenobius

??? Doh, it's late

the illustration reminds me of those anti-theft devices fitted to high value goods in shops which gives me the idea of using a largish lump of sellotape or similar, sticky side up and carefully wind around that.

As I said it's late, hope this helps

Ed

Hi Xenobius

I'm half-awake now - my usual state - but was thinking if you need to do more than a few coils, one way is to take a round plastic rod, taper the end of it and machine a spiral groove into the taper of the correct number of turns - its then easy? to produces lots of copies

Best of Luck

Ed

I can't think why I said "groove", I meant to say flat.  Also, if the wire is wound tightly, just realeasing the tension slightly should be enough to slip the spiral off the rod.

Guest Alun

Hi tnk2k, Xenobius wants a spiral coil.

Xenobius, you might be able to get away with using tinnen copper wire as long as you ensure the turns don't touch each other. I've used 1mm tinned copper wire for an inductor in a RF oscilator before and it worked very well.