Electronics-Lab.com Community

MULTIMETER

HI ALL!
TILL NOW I HAD THE PERCEPTION THAT A MULTIMETER GIVES A BEEP WHEN ITS 2 
TERMINALS ARE SHORTED.BUT TODAY ONLY I CONNECTED A 4.7k RESISTOR TO MY SUPPLY AND CONNECTED THE MULTIMETER ACROSS THE RESISTOR AND IT GAVE THE BEEP.WHAT IS THE CONDITION FOR THIS BEEP?
WHAT IS ITS SIGNIFICANCE?
PLZ REPLY SOON ???

:)the audio sound of your digital multimeter is the continiuity, you use this continiuity to test for breaks in the tracks and to make sure there is no breaks in the circuit  and allso to test the wireing . the continiuity tester is not a component tester, but if you got a  audio sound from measureing across the resistor if its on the circuit board, follow the trackwork from each end of the resistor and you may probably find it runs back to the other end of the resistor  so all its doing is telling you the track is ok and not broken or open circiuted. if you measureing the resistance of the resistor on the board, disconect one end of the resistor otherwise you will get a false reading , if your measureing voltage  in the dc range start at the highest dc setting them work your way down if you aint sure what the voltage is .  as for resistance start at the lowest resistance scale and work your way up untill you get a stabilized reading

hi steven!
i think it should also give a beep with high resistance in continuity. but it gives no beep across a say 10k resistor connected on my PCB. EVEN IF I TEST IT OPEN CKTED,
SIMILAR BEHAVIOUR IS NOTICED,BUT I HAVE NOTICED THAT IT CONSIDERS AROUND 50 OHMS FOR GIVING A BEEP. NO BEEP FOR MORE RESISTANCE ;D! ;D

hi there my multimeters continiuity tester reacts to so many ohms resistance to before the audio sound comes on, and it wont do it for to high of a resistance , thats why its good for checking the continiuity of track work  and wire, and not for components

hi steven!
earlier i had the misconception that beep comes when the points are short circuited.
but i was surprised when i connected the meter b/w supply and ground and gave the beep!!!!!!!!!!
by the way the continuity which u are talking about,what is that i mean to what resistance level we consider continuity(certainly not short ckt) otherwise it would not have given the beep b/w supply and gnd. ;D