Electronics-Lab.com Community

Televisions and Voltage Transformers

tompcs

Hi.  I am wondering if anyone knows if there would be any difficulties running a plasma tv through a transformer.  I am moving to Australia and have found a multi-system tv that I would like to buy.  However, it does not come with dual voltage.  Would there be any issues simply buying a transformer (of sufficient wattage) and running it through that? Thanks for any insights.

Guest Alun

The problem is not just the voltage or frequency, it's the format the video is broadcast in, over in the US it's NTSC, and here in the UK and in Australia it's PAL, if your TV won't recieve PAL then stick it on ebay and buy a new one in Austrailia.

Thanks for the reply post.  I have selected a multi-system tv that can receive signals in multiple formats, including PAL.

However, I cannot find an HDTV with dual voltage and multip system.  So, I'm just nervous that running the multi system plasma tv through a transformer may not be good for the tv. 

TVs are about double the price in Australia so am hoping to get one here to save the cash but if it would be damaging then I will buy one there.

Guest Alun

Thanks for the reply post.  I have selected a multi-system tv that can receive signals in multiple formats, including PAL.

However, I cannot find an HDTV with dual voltage and multip system.  So, I'm just nervous that running the multi system plasma tv through a transformer may not be good for the tv. 

TVs are about double the price in Australia so am hoping to get one here to save the cash but if it would be damaging then I will buy one there.

Running the TV from a transformer won't damage it because it technically it already is being run of a transformer - the electricity company's transformer. ;D Ther lower frequency of 50Hz might cause a problem though but I highly doubt it, if you're worried ask the manufacturer.

This may do the trick for ya ...

http://www.toroid.com/standard_transformers/auto_transformers/step_down_transformers.htm

Small , light, and only cost you about $120 for the 1000VA which is what you probably need for the plasma. ;D 8) ;D

Yes, go for the step down from 230V to 120V option suitable for 50 to 60Hz operation and check the TV's wattage I doubt it's as high as 1000VA even for a plasma screen so you might be able to get away with a smaller transformer unless you want to run other appliance from the same transformer.

Hi Guys.

Is there any chance the picture update frequency is linked to the net here? Here in Europe we have 50Hz and on some “more expensive” tv-sets it is doubled to 100Hz for a flicker free picture. If I remember correctly the pic-update in the US is 60Hz….. could this perhaps be a problem?

Hi Ante,
Here in North America, black and white TVs used exactly 60Hz as their vertical interlaced frequency but sync'd from the transmitted pic, not the mains. When they changed to colour, the vertical frequency became 59.xxHz, and if the TV has mains hum in the picture you can see the hum-bars move slowly.
The high-tech TVs have horizontal line doublers but the vertical rate remains the same. There are a few different high-definition methods, some interlaced and others progressive-scan. I think interlaced alternates even then odd horizontal lines at 59.xxHz. This causes very fine items to flicker at 29.xxHz. Progressive scan eliminates the flickering since the entire screen is updated at 59.xxHz. ;D

Hi Audioguru,
OK so no mains sync then! Thanks for the explanation. Black and white sets? You are kidding, which planet are you living on? I remember my dad bringing home a colour set for the Olympics in Mexico in 1968 and I haven’t seen any B&W since!  ;D

My 'scope is black and green, displays a very clear but monochrome TV picture and its vintage is older than 1968.
In those days, elevators had operators (a very boring job). I remember an operator watching the Mexico Olympics on a small portable TV and she missed lining-up her elevator with the floors every time. ;D

Guest Alun

The US had colour before Europe but when we finally got round to colour the technology had improved a lot and this is why PAL is way better than NTSC.