Electronics-Lab.com Community

Rookie Student: A Question of Tools

Seth H

Hello everyone, and thanks for reading.  Google took me by the hand and suggested I take a seat here, make myself comfortable and expose my small brain to the wealth of experience that makes up this community.

So here I go with my first question! (Please note that I did attempt a forum search, but could find nothing conclusive.)

I've just signed up for a series of courses to expand my knowledge of electronics (which have always fascinated me), and with that package deal comes a small selection of basic electronic tools: a digital multimeter, a basic breadboard, a basic soldering iron with associated components, a few odds-and-ends to make simple things with (test leads, transistors, resistors and such)...

Anyway, I am fairly certain that these tools will be low quality (despite the marketing text) or limited in abilities.  Being a tool-lover and hobbiest auto mechanic, I know quality is a force multiplier.  My funds, however, are very limited (especially since my other hobby, computers, just ate a ton of money with new motherboards, PSUs and so on).

Having said all that, here is the meat of my rambling: I want an affordable, flexible and somewhat expansive set of tools, a starter package if you will.  I know that's probably a pipe dream to combine affordability with quality, but keep in mind this is a starter kit!  I've seen only one set, but I have no idea if it would be a good one or not: ( clicky ).  It's a 125 piece set.  I thought it might be a solid start for a hobbiest like myself who is looking to spend some serious time taking things apart and *cough* improving them, as well as building *more coughing* Impressive Inventions to Scare the Cat.

Opinions and advice on tools are very welcome.  The already-posted questions and answers here have given me a wealth of information on electronics theory and practice, so I'm good there for now.

Thank you again!

Guest Alun

Velleman are a good make as far as kits go but I haven't used any of their tools before so if the quality of the quality of their kits is anything to go by you've made a fine choice.

One thing I would recommend though is a decent temperature controlled soldering iron because I've never had any luck with those cheap and nasty non-regulated irons as the tip seems to oxidize very quickly.

Well, the tools arrived today -- they were well packaged and arrived undamaged.  I was impressed with the included case and the selection of tools.  I haven't used any of them yet, but I'll keep you all posted on how they hold up with all my abuse.  The only thing I had an issue with was the soldering iron holder -- the wingnut and screw that are provided to secure the metallic sheath (or whatever the holding heat cylinder is called) seemed poorly threaded; gentle pressure moves the wingnut.  Easy to fix, though.

My camera decided to die on me earlier, so the pictures will be delayed a few days.

Codyhtml, I think you're right -- playing around with computers, especially once people build their own and start wondering about how things work under the hood, seems to move them towards the black art of electronics... I know we aren't the only ones!

Any recommendations on a soldering iron?  The included one is a 20 watt unit, not temp regulated (or at least I don't think so, the packaging doesn't mention anything but the wattage).

Guest SM2GXN

Hi Set H and all the others!

Hope you'll find much pleasure with your new tools it seems to me like a good buy.
I agree that weller is a good choise but you do run into situations were you find advantage in variable temperature as Ed and Alun said. Some tips don't like continuous high temperatures. I seldom go more than 400deg C, if you leave your soldering station at maximum, say >450deg the tip will oxidize.
Don't forget ERSA, that's a good choice too and usually less expensive.
I got two Weller and two ERSA and the difference is that I have never switched any heath element in a period of more than 15 years on my ERSA but that I can't say about the Weller.
They are both excelent soldering stations so any of them is a good buy.
There are lots of cheap soldering stations, I would