Electronics-Lab.com Community

Dual sided PCB

As long as the multiple copying did not change the size, you will be ok. Many times, I have found the size to be distorted after copying only one time in a copier. You did not mention the method, but I will assume photo-etch.

In this case, match up the two transparencies to be sure they are perfectly the same.
One method (best):
Punch two holes in the pc board and in the transparencies where you will have mounting screws on one side and use these as a guide. You can insert a small piece of wooden dowel to register the two transparencies to the pc board.
Another method (second best): Tape the two pieces of the transparency together on one end and, after you are sure they will match exactly, slip the pc board into the sleeve and place it between two sections of the glass for the photographic process.

In case you are wondering, in a process where you use a silk screen to image the board, the copper clad is normally drilled on a CNC machine first, then the silk screen image is registered to the hole pattern.

In either of these methods, note that you will have to use short pieces of wire where there are vias and you will have to solder these and the component legs on both sides of the board. This is because one side of the board is not electrically connected to the other side of the board like a through hole plated board from a board house. You will not be able to make through hole plated boards without a much more complicated process.

MP

Thanks for your reply MP.specially about how to connect the vias.

I am not using photo etch method. I will first try it out with a high gloss photo paper... i.e ..stick the photo paper with traces on to the PC board with tape and heat it with a Iron. I happened to hear once that this method works.I still have to try it out.

Anita

Just out of interest, how do they make the through hole plated board, and ho do they connect the vias to the other layers?

After the board layers are assembled and the holes drilled, the board goes through a copper plating process. The holes are seeded with a solution that will cause the plating to connect with copper from all the layers which terminate at the hole. This is done before the tin plating or gold plating that you see in the final product. Many turn key operations who make small qty double sided boards use something that looks like a small rivet. A special tool installs them. The end result looks like a plated through hole, but the pad sticks up above the board level somewhat higher.

MP

• 1 month later...

Photo paper works ok but I use  Office Gloss paper, Its just as good and you can see through it with a brite light behind it. makes it easy to line up the two sides. then I staple the two together, slip the copper between them and Iron. Whats real nice about the office gloss is that its cheep and soaks off easy.

hAVE FUN