Electronics-Lab.com Community

50.000V Powersuply

Me and a friend is currently working on a cool prosject, however, we need a monstrous powersupply.. atleast 30kV DC (preferrably around 50kV). The input voltage is 220V AC. When it comes to amperes, I only need 1A at max.  I've searched for good scematics out there, but i was unable to find any. So.. do any of you know of any good schematics for a safe design, or could someone take the time to draw me one? (Safe = You survive as long as you stay atleast 1 meter away from it :))

I agree, 50KW (50,000W) is alot of power.

Remember "Power (W) = Current (I) x (times) Voltage (V)" In your case:

P = 1 x 50,000 = 50,000W

In addition, its way too high to be supplied from an ordinary home power supply.

What do you need that much power for?

BTW, safety doesn't play a role with such voltages. Dont you think?

;D

have you looked at the high voltage stuff section plenty good information there  and you may like a marx generator  there pritty good , look at the hand powerd generator topic in the high voltage stuff section  where a small marx generator on top of a hand powerd generator really puts out the fats arcs, may yeild a few good ideas

Guest SM2GXN

Hi jarmund!

I don't think that would be an good idea to put those 16 amps fuses in parallel, I'm curious why so high current more than 200 amps will be taken out from the mains.
1 amp at 50KV you aint gonna kill someone?  ;D

I can draw up to 32 amperes from the 220V (ill just parallel two 16A fuses)

That means your mains can supply a max of 32 x 220 = 7040W which is a lot smaller than what you need. Remember: Power Out (50,000W) = Power In

50,000 < 7040 (which is not true) --> you'll probably blow up your mains supply.

Fuses cannot be arranged in a parallel setup. Im not really sure why but i know so. I think its because of the resistance difference. Both fuses dont have the EXACT resistance and thus one will blow up instantly becasue more voltage passes through it = higher current (i.e. 18A). Your best bet would be to get a fuse with rating higher than 32A, which i think is quite rare.

Dear jarmund

I do not have any plan for building such a high power project. But if you convince with a less power project, why don't you use a TV flyback transformer. it will gives you 25kV and nearly 100 watt (as audioguru said). and the schematics are available. but it really differs with what you are looking for.

HTH - Shahriar

1A at 50kV is only possible by using a utility transformer wired in reverse and 1A at 50kV will kill you - you'll burst into flames.

a video flyback is the best way to go and it's safer if you use one with out a built in multiplyer and diode as the high frequency AC is way safer than DC.