Electronics-Lab.com Community

Homemade Capacitor

If you need a small capacitor, and you cant find one with the right value, do it the easy (and cheap) way: make it yourself. And it looks alot cooler to :D
This consists of paper (regular A4 I found on the floor), some isolating aluminium i pulled out of a cable, the copper from that cable.
Tools needed: A Hammer

The construction is quite simple... rip the paper into stripes a little bigger than the aluminium foil (the aluminium foil should be aprox 5x20 cm). You should now have two stripes of paper, and two out of aluminium, lay them on top of eachother so that it is alternate paper/aluminium/paper/aluminium. Place a piece of copper on the aluminium on one end, and roll the thing together with the piece of copper in the middle. when you've done that, tie another piece of around it, so that it touches the outmost aluminium-piece (remove some of the outter paper, if needed). Then hammer the thing a little bit, so that it becomes semi-flat (dont hammer too much, as this will tear the paper, thus destroying the capacitor).

Below is a picture of the first one i made this way. I made one that had 200nF, but unfortunately i didnt have a camera at that time.

hjemmelagd%20kondensator.jpg

Guest SM2GXN

Hi jarmund!

Nice capacitor, I've made one also but unfortunately no pictures of it, the one I made was an 200pF variable capacitor used in a high power RF-amplifier.
Have to by myself a digital camera just to be able to share some pictures of some of the projects I've done through the years.

Bjorn

Hi Guys,

You must consider that the choice of material as well as the way the individual layers are put together will influence the characteristics of the “capacitor”. Of curse you can use kitchen foil and you will get a reading on your cap-meter but you won’t have a clue about the characteristics or any other data for your "capacitor".  As an experiment it’s fun to try and I think everyone should try this but using it in a circuit, naaa.. I don’t think so! 8)