Electronics-Lab.com Community

Electronic Ignition (Transistor + points)

Hi, to all and wellcome to my project...

I'M THINKING THAT THE STARTER LOWER THE VOLTAGE AND MAYBE THE TRANSISTOR DOESN'T TURN ON...

I'm a hobist and I found an old article of how to make a transistor assisted electronic ignition with few components www.homepower.com/files/ElectronicIgnition.pdf, it included a MJ2955 [TO-3] transistor; a 1K 1/4W resistor for base-emitter; a 1 Ohm 25W resistor for the emitter [conected to the coil]; a rectifying diode across colector emitter for protection.

The circuit did worked, but I had to crank the engine a lot some times, I try to make a small edition, so I chose a 5W resistor like in the picture, I kept using the same elements, then I change the transistor for a better one..., I chose a TIP36C and I TIP42C, all of them work when they want...so...

I made some tests:

1.- I conected the circuit to a 9V battery and a multimeter and simulate the points with a switch..., The circuit did worked...

2.- I conected to the same 9V battery and to a small electric motor..., The circuit did worked...

3.- I unplugged one of the leads of the spark plugs and conected to a sparkplug [not in the engine] and grounded; I conected the circuit to the coil and to the ground; I did NOT conected the points to the circuit, intead I left this one for touching the ground..., I opend the switch, The circuit did worked, I had sparks....

4.- Same as four, but, I did conected to the points and move the engine with a wrench, The circuit did work, I had sparks too...

5.- I went to the front, crank the engine and the the engine didn't start....

post-10853-14279142341055_thumb.jpg

post-10853-14279142341168_thumb.jpg

i dont know where it is but it could be there in high voltage circuits im not sure i could still have a printout of it up stairs somewhere  in my collection of thousands of circuits  its an electronic ignition circuit of some kind that may be usefull to you ill add it to your topic if i can find it again

:) ooh forgot to mention you may want to take a look in the high voltage stuff section to as ive posted lots of stuff there that may be of use to you includeing ignition coil driver circuits that i biult from circuits ive collecetd  you may find some ideas to asisst you in there somewhere