Electronics-Lab.com Community

Outdoor Light Status Indicator

You don't need to limit the voltage to an LED, just the current an LED always has a constant voltage drop across it just like a normal diode except it's 1.9V or 3.5V instead of 0.6V. Normally a resistor does this but with AC a capacitor can be used as it has an impedance and limitts the AC current. By the way but even though I got away without using a 1k resistor (to limit the surge current) when I used my circuit to power a high brightness LED I would recommend you add one as some LEDs might be more sensitive.

VLED can be normally ignored as it's quite low compared to the mains v oltage but if you want to power more than 10 3.5V blue LEDs in series then I recommend you take it into consideration.

post-0-14279142388988_thumb.gif

Thanks for all of the ideas. That is just what I need. I must be brain dead. I'm was not  thinking that an LED is really a diode. I don't have to be concerned about the voltage drop.

I have a 6 week old baby at home who has proven to be nocturnal. As a result I have been very sleep deprived lately. Sorry for the confusion. You guys are a great help.