Electronics-Lab.com Community

Equalizer ...

I think he wants us to translate his request.
"Diodes" are probably LED arrays that indicate signal strength at the same frequencies as the equalizer, you know, a real-time-analyser.

An equalizer plus a real-time-analyser certainly won't be simple.
If he made them, then the equalizer would probably just overload his amplifier and speakers anyway. :(

I assembled a kit a few year ago, for a friend, i belive he ordered it from germany, a realtime analyser, a simple one, it was based on a few IC:s and, if i remember right, 100 Leds, or was it 200. It was suddenly not an easy project, with surface mount components and all! And that was only the analyser.

//Staigen

Hi Mukhalled,
Here is a very good article about how to make an equalizer, called a graphic equalizer. The same kind of audio filters can be used to make a real-time-analyser which is also called a graphic analyser. I don't think the author of this graphic equalizer has made a graphic analyser project yet. http://www.sound.westhost.com/project75.htm

BTW, the amp you and Audioguru buildt, is it something i have missed?

Yeah, Mukhalled built the "22 Whats per channel amp" in our projects section then had a problem with distortion when he turned up the volume and bass. He learned from me that it really only produces a few watts into 8 ohm speakers and a little more into 4 ohm speakers when using his car battery to power it, and he was trying to make it produce much more. The post is here: http://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?topic=3784.msg23884#msg23884

My new car came with a 228 Whats Pioneer sound system complete with a 10" sub-woofer. The 6x9 speakers on the rear shelf are only 2 ohms each.
This system is much more powerful than the 200 Watts system in my old car. I calculated and measured my old system at 14 Watts per channel at clipping into its 4 ohm speakers which adds up to only 56 Watts total for its 4 channels.
I can't easily measure the power to my new sub-woofer because its amp is inside the sub-woofer. ;D

Hi Audioguru and Staigen
Thanks for the article, I'll study it first, but I don't think that I will build it acually because my project (which I will do in school) is about audio amplification and the equalizer thing was just an additional idea.  :)
I wonder if Staigen has read our post about the amp  ;D, thanx for wishing me good luck  ;D

by the way, congragulations (Audioguru) for your new car with Pioneer sound system  ;D

Best Wishes,
Mukhalled

• 4 weeks later...

Turn up the volume and your engine will go faster because it sounds louder. ;D

No seriously, the problem is the spark plugs in the engine are generating electricla noise which your amplifier is boosting and delivering to the speekers, there are several ways to try to combat this problem but as EMC isn't an exact science there's no guarantee  that it'll work.

Does this nois occur only when you're listening to the radio or does it affect tapes and CDs as well?

If it only affects the radio then it's radiated noise so moving the aerial might even help to some degree.

If it's affects CDs and tapes to then it's conducted making an RF suppresser by adding inductors, ferrite beads and capacitors to the amplifaier's power supply leads might help.

In both cases suppressing the car's ignition system with ferrite beads, inductors and capacitors could help.