My new project

ECET0purdue

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

what was the part again

It's a USB Dongle, and yes, it is plug and play, but only at the computer side, i belive. Isn't there a USB controller, intended for work together with a microcontroller, it will take care of all the interfacing to the Dongle! And the Dongle is cheap! Only about 30 US$ here in sweden, such things are usally cheaper in England and USA! Btw, where do you live?

also jamaica is south of north america.

Jamaica? I know where Jamaica is, but you wrote "jamica..." ! ;D ;D

A pic of what i mean is here under(Observe, the price is swedish currency)

//Staigen

post-282-14279142424787_thumb.gif

Hi all of you

but how would i connect that to microcontroller?

Im not sure, i thougt it was parallel data I/O from/to the usb contoller, have you checked for a usb controller IC? The connection between the usb controller IC and the dongle is clock and data(its serial). Also there is ground and +5 Volt. The databus between the usb controller and the microcontroller i belive is 8 bits + some control bits.

To Audioguru
I was also looking for the new nation called Jamica

I thought it was some island somewhere in the pacific ocean ;D ;D

//Staigen

First off, Borland's C++ Builder development suites do not support writing native applications for Windows CE 5 or Windows XP Embedded systems. This particular terminal is farther from a computer and nearer to a PocketPC. You would do well to look here for possible alternatives, such as eMbedded Visual C++ here -- http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/

Secondly, at the earlier mention of using RFID for things over 50 feet. Typical ranges for RFID tags are 1/3rd of a meter to one meter for low frequency and high frequency respectively. UHF tags has a maximum line of sight range nearer to six meters. There are, however, active tags with support hardware and batteries allowing ranges of up to 100 meters or more, but these are much more expensive. More information here -- http://www.rfidjournal.com/

1ST OFF...  ok i spelled it wrong....geeezzzz...no matter how hard you look you wont find it.

2nd i am going to do some research on the micocontroller and see if i can make this work with the  usb Dongle, 

3rd, thanks for all the help and i was looking for a good rfid site so i will check that out tooo.

4th...do you have a website for the usb dongle you posted...when i did a search i found lots of different ones?

5th....this is a long topic...wow 3 pages..
cheers,
glen

First off, Borland's C++ Builder development suites do not support writing native applications for Windows CE 5 or Windows XP Embedded systems. This particular terminal is farther from a computer and nearer to a PocketPC. You would do well to look here for possible alternatives, such as eMbedded Visual C++ here -- http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/

Why pay for development tools and operating system when you can use a free one like Linux?

Secondly, at the earlier mention of using RFID for things over 50 feet. Typical ranges for RFID tags are 1/3rd of a meter to one meter for low frequency and high frequency respectively. UHF tags has a maximum line of sight range nearer to six meters. There are, however, active tags with support hardware and batteries allowing ranges of up to 100 meters or more, but these are much more expensive. More information here -- http://www.rfidjournal.com/

How long do the batteries last for though?

Why pay for development tools and operating system when you can use a free one like Linux?

it comes with free software so i decided to use that...

also if i used the active tags and the cell phone as the reader then it would just use the cellphone battary right and would last as long as the cell phone was being charged?

A PocketPC is also a computer! And an ordinary PC is also a computer and so are a MAC! Even the old Commodore 64 is a computer! And this terminal is a computer too!  ;D ;D It is intended to be used as a terminal in a distribution system. You say "nearer to a PocketPC" but this one have all this input/output devices and possibillities! ;D Do a PocketPC have that? ??? Buildt in! If you buy the right version. ;D

//Staigen

Simply a typing error on my part. I had meant to type "This particular terminal is farther from a desktop computer and nearer to a PocketPC." This was in reference to both the fact that Borland C++ Builder only natively supports Intel and AMD processors used in desktop and notebook personal computers and the fact that PocketPCs have been using the Windows CE operating system for quite some time now and may be a place to look for hints in development.

By the way, that link I gave has a whole boatload of information on RFID, from the beginner basic to quite advanced. Definately a good read...

any ideal on a block diagram for this project?    iam sure iam missing something on mine?
                              in house touchscreen
                                                        |
                                                        v
touchscreen -> transceiver -> micorocontroller-> (now iam using powerline commucation so do i need a certin microcontroller? ) and then from microcontroller to lightswitch reciver ->lights.

pretty simple block diagram....toooo simple...what am i missing?
thanks,
glen

yes the touchscreen is the terminal, and also yes iam belive iam giong to use the x10 system for the lights so what i need help on is the signal from the car touchscreen/terminal to the trasceiver then to the controller.. iam guessing if i could find the right trasceivers then it would not be a problem but iam cant find really any? do you know were i could look any good links... also the block diagram iam wokring on now i will post it ....looking a lot better mon.
thanks,

glen.

To TekNoir
It is not a desktop, and i have never said that, but it is a computer and it is also a terminal!

//Staigen

I never said that you did. If you would reread what, specifically, I typed, you would see that it was what I had intended to write in the first place. I never said that it wasn't a computer or a terminal. I was simply referencing the supported processors of Borland's C++ Builder's compiler and giving suggestions for compilers that would work. You missed the point completely by trying to nitpick my statement. No matter how much of a computer you say this terminal may be, Borland's compiler still doesn't support it. However, ECET0purdue picked up on this and the terminal came with its own software, which he said he would use, so it's a moot point.

Hi

Okay ECET0purdue, i wont reply to TekNoir so you can get peace in your topic.

touchscreen -> transceiver -> micorocontroller-> (now iam using powerline commucation so do i need a certin microcontroller? ) and then from microcontroller to lightswitch reciver ->lights.

pretty simple block diagram....toooo simple...what am i missing?

You dont miss so much, i belive it goes like this:
In car:
Terminal <--> USB Dongle
Thats all in the car

In house:
USB Dongle <--> USB Controller IC <==> Microcontroller <--> X10 Controling Devices -->Appliances

Where:
<-->

Well still working on it...football game interupted the block diagram. 

USB Dongle <--> USB Controller IC <==> Microcontroller <--> X10 Controling Devices -->Appliances

should they all be two way... that way the screen would know if a llight is on or off?

also you said microcontroller to x10 .. i can not go USB Dongle <--> USB Controller IC  stright to the x10.... and how much do you know about the x10 because i had some questions about it too and when i google it all i get is "for sale" items..dam internet..
cheers
glen.

Hi

should they all be two way... that way the screen would know if a llight is on or off

Why not, its allready built in, that way you can have 2 icons, one dark and one in a brighter colour, indicating if the appliance is on or off! :) Observe, i saying appliance, it can contol much moore than a lamp, you can even manage the heating in your house, if it have electrical or electronic control, also open and close your garage port. I told you, it's only your imagination that is the limit!

also you said microcontroller to x10 .. i can not go USB Dongle <--> USB Controller IC

well if you know a good x10 controller it would help....also how do you program them. is there a software that comewith the controller. or do you have to buy seprate? also i was looking at them and all i could see was a RG-11 interface? 1135_xyz3.gif
now iam not sure on the programming but if it is RG-11 then would it be posable to go from the usb and use a usb-to-RG11 converter then strait to the x10 controller? What i was thinking was on the touchscreen (should be reciving thur) if i could have it send the data that the x10 would need then i would not need another microcontoller?... .. iam starting to confuse myself with what information the x10 needs in order to send the correct signals?