Electronics-Lab.com Community

schematic to pcb software?

acecase

Hello,
Forgive me if this is a topic that is well coverd elsewere as I am sure it is.
However I can't seem to find the info, probably because I am unfamiliar with the terminolagy and as you can see, my spelling stinks.

I'm a complete newb and my largest problem area is getting from schematic to pcb layout.
It isn't as simple as I had thought to look at a schematic and configure a pcb around it (it messes with my head even :) )

What I am looking for and assume exists is software that will allow me to draw schematics and then have that design a pcb for me.
Is that possible? Better yet is that possible with multisim 2001 which I already have installed and am fairly comfortable with?

Thanks,
Harley Burton.

EDIT:
If I may add one more question :)
I have a cheap lexmark z23, it's a laser "ink-jet" printer and not a true laser printer and it doesn't have a black ink cartrage so it doesn't print true black. In fact it prints more green that black.
Can I use that for the photo-paper pcb meathod in the posts here?

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i have downloaded Express PCB. i am not very much familiar with it yet, bu i think it only helps you "draw" your design, not to make the design.. is there really a program that asks for your schematic,  then with a press of a button gives you the PCB design? is there one? i can't keep downloading every recommended programs i see on the web because downloading takes time and is quite not allowed in internet cafes..

i sure do enjoy making my own design of the schematic but they are usually wrong.. at least, i could use the program (if there is one) to compare with my work!

I use Eagle
    They have a free demo that will let you draw a schematic and then convert it to a pcb but you have to place the parts on the board befor you use auto router. i didn't like it at first until I got used to. Works good and its free, you can even print with it. plus other things you might need to do.
                                      gogo

• 1 month later...

Instead of trying to download Eagle through this site, put the following address in your browser:

http://www.cadsoft.de/cgi-bin/download.pl?page=/home/cadsoft/html_public/download.htm.en&dir=eagle/program/4.1

It will allow you to download directly from the Cadsoft server. Re-direct is very slow when connecting through an Internet Cafe.

Hope it helps.

MP