Electronics-Lab.com Community

Inverter Circuit 12V DC to 230VAC Sine Wave

I built the original and never returned here again. I was busy trying to figure out why do the Inverter keeps on burning Electric Fans.

Hi Wild Swan,
Our original 500W inverter had errors so it didn't work. I helped correct the errors two and a half years ago. My corrected circuit recently was deleted from the project. Which circuit did you make?

What happens to its output when it is loaded with more than only 50W?
Do you have a fully charged car battery powering it through very heavy wires?
Maybe its frequency is wrong.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My bad. Very bad! I did your version Audioguru... but my Frequency is 50Hz when the AC freq in the Philippines is 60Hz.

I will try to redi it again.

Hi Wild Swan,
Our original 500W inverter had errors so it didn't work. I helped correct the errors two and a half years ago. My corrected circuit recently was deleted from the project. Which circuit did you make?

What happens to its output when it is loaded with more than only 50W?
Do you have a fully charged car battery powering it through very heavy wires?
Maybe its frequency is wrong.

My bad. Very bad! I did your version Audioguru... but my Frequency is 50Hz when the AC freq in the Philippines is 60Hz.

Then your fans and 60Hz transformer will be overloaded with a load more than about 400W. It is easy to fix. Change the 47k resistor at the CD4047 oscillator to 39k.

Did you use a 12V-0-12V 50A transformer? It should be 600VA.

Thanks Audioguru... yes, I have my Xformer customized and it is 12-0-12 50A primary and 220 volts secondary.

Then your fans and 60Hz transformer will be overloaded with a load more than about 400W. It is easy to fix. Change the 47k resistor at the CD4047 oscillator to 39k.

Did you use a 12V-0-12V 50A transformer? It should be 600VA.

hai all, i had just join this forum, i would like to know about the calculation of 600 VA ups, and it using SG 3524 as the inveter.

Hi Ired,
Welcome to our forum. ;D
A discussion about the calculations for this 500W square-wave inverter is here:
http://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?topic=8609.0
It is an inverter, not a UPS.

• 1 month later...

hi guyz,

just wants to ask u guyz how to increase the voltage if i'm using mosfet and center tap tranformer to make the modified sine wave inverter? cos currently i notice that my transformer needed is too bulky....i need to make the inverter portable...thanks for u guyz help.... ;) ;) ;)

hi guyz,

just wants to ask u guyz how to increase the voltage if i'm using mosfet and center tap tranformer to make the modified sine wave inverter? cos currently i notice that my transformer needed is too bulky....i need to make the inverter portable...thanks for u guyz help.... ;) ;) ;)

You need to study about transformers.
The size of the core is determined by the frequency and amount of magnetic flux it can have without saturating. You need a high flux to have a high power. High power also requires thick low resistance wire.
The number of turns for the primary winding determines its inductance and leakage inductance that determines how much current the inverter draws without a load.

Welcome back, Steven. ;D

We need to know the continuous power rating of your new inverter. Also please attach its schematic and parts list.

It looks like a two transistor multivibrator driving the output transistors. Its output is probably a square-wave.
It will be interesting to see if and how its design stops the multivibrator transistors from having avalanche breakdown.
It will also be interesting to see how the circuit deals with inductive voltage spikes since it doesn't appear to have any protection diodes.

Steven,
It looks like a nice little kit. It is a shame they didn't include the transformer and heat sinks, but it looks like a nice simple kit for those who do not need a lot of power.
Where will you use it? Did you purchase the kit for a specific purpose or for learning about inverters?

MP

hey mp i brought the invertor kit as i was ciurious as to how something so small would do what they say it dose , ive had an inverter once but it dident put out enougth current to power a drill, in fact it just barely turend it and it lite a house hold globe only dimly so i wonder what this inverter will deliver, the transformer they recamended in the catalouge  i have to buy it and the 2 heatsinks sepparate , it says in the instructions that for more output power add a 2n3055 transistor in parralell with each of the other 2  but dose it really matter which ones you use in the 2n3055 range  with the different manufacterers , the ones that came with the kit have tesla written on them , im gona try a normal 2n3055 and see what goes,  when i get the last bits i need ,  even if it dont deliver the current output i need ill try then, the parralell transistor setup for more power or ill use what i got for a bingo feul reactor i plan to try makeing , and for the hydrogen from water thing

The transformer that you choose will make quite a difference as to what you get out of this device. I assume the kit gave you a recommendation. You should be sure to get one as good as the recommendation or better.
Regarding the 2N3055s, it does not matter which manufacturer as long as the transistor specs are correct.

MP