Electronics-Lab.com Community

Troubleshooting for SLA battery charger

I have built this battery charger according to this site

http://www.interq.or.jp/japan/se-inoue/e_car2.htm

I manage to charge the battery but it very slow.

Can i know what charging voltage should i use. What i mean is what is the output voltage from LM317 should i make? It seems like even i increase the output voltage from LM317, the output voltage at the diode (anode) also same...looks like it depends on the battery.

And how do i know whether it is fully charge or not? Is i t possible to modified the circuit so i can know the battery is fully charge without probing the current or voltage?

Thanks

Hi Harry,
VR1 sets the max voltage, and VR2 sets the current of that project.
IC2 is made to be a constant current source so its output voltage equals the battery's voltage.
You would need to ask the battery's maunufacturer about the battery's fully-charged voltage. Some older lead-acid batteries are 13.8V, some newer ones are 14.4V. The battery's fully charged voltage is also affected by its temperature. ;D

Is it the LM317 used to set the charging voltage? When i chg the output of LM317, the charging voltage (at anode or cathode of diode consider as charging voltage?) also chg.

If as u mention, if IC2 made to be constant current source and because of this, the output voltage equals the battery voltage, then how will it charge? I thought it only will charge if the output voltage higher than battery voltage?

The charging voltage i have to adjust before or after the battery is inserted?

Is it when the charging current drop to a low constant current source, it indicates fully charged?

Thanks audioguru

You have to set it up as follows:

(1) Make the knob for current control into the minimum (full of left).
(2) Make the knob for voltage control into the minimum (full of left).
(3) Short-circuit the output of a charger.
(4) Turn the knob for current control to the right until the charging current is set to    about 300mA.
I think that a problem does not have even a 500mA setup.
I am making it little current, in order to charge a battery for a long time.
(5) Connect a charger to a battery.