Electronics-Lab.com Community

MICRO ANTENNAS

prateeksikka

The antenna on my new cell phone is only 1.5cm on the outside of its case, but might be a little longer inside it. Its max output is 1W at microwave frequencies.
There are millions (thousands?) of cell phone base station transmitters in my city but only a single radio station transmitter for each station, so the difference in range is huge.
AM broadcasts are picked-up by a little ferrite loop antenna and FM broadcasts by a little whip, work fine with good range and were invented long before communication by microwaves was possible.
I don't see any advantage to change broadcasts to microwave frequencies now.

carry an FM receiver in ur pocket.

I carry my FM Walkman in my pocket. The cord to its earphones is its antenna.
what is the loss at using microwaves for FM broadcast. only advantages i can see.
any disadvantages u can think of?

I don't know much about the new microwave satellite music transmissions because they charge a high price for a subscription.

not 100% sure .......

ok it is transmitted at a feq say 94.7 fm  then when it reaches the radio there is a circuit inside which changes the feq to a lower feq so it can be played though speakers and head by the human ear.  Now the higher the feq means the circuit inside has to me more complex which cost more.  so why have a more complex circuit just to get an antenna little smaller?

cheers,
glen

its called a discount.. that is why it was cheaper and you buy a plan which you pay for.. a radio is a one time cost ...if you could buy a cell phone and never have to pay to use it well then i bet they would cost a lot more...

btw....i once got a free phone too....along with that 3 yr contract for 84 dollars a month....

i rather own the IRS...
cheers
glen

Hi Glen,
My daughter gave me the free cell phone for my birthday present and also got a free one for herself by signing a 3 years contract for a low monthly price. We can make unlimited free local calls for 6 months, then after only evenings, weekends and calls to each other are free.
She got the good deal near the end of the month, near the end of the fiscal quarter and the salesman was very hungry for sales. ;D

what are the disadvantages of communication at say 10GHz than at say 100Hz?

A very extreme difference. You can't communicate very fast with a carrier frequency of only 100Hz. Morse code maybe?
Higher frequencies have wider bandwidths if needed. The 486 processor in my old pc operated at 100MHz. My new one operates at a microwave frequency. The new one does a lot more things much quicker. ;D

• 2 weeks later...