Electronics-Lab.com Community

Impedance matching

autir

I am trying to design a class-A audio preamplifier. The very classic design we all know, with 1 transistor, 4 resistors and 3 capacitors.
Should the ideal input impedance be of equal value to the output impedance of the previous stage (e.g. electret microphone)?
Should the ideal output impedance be of equal value to the input impedance of the next stage (e.g. power amplifier)?
Or should the ideal Zin=infinite and Zout=0?

Good audio circuits never match impedances from one stage to the next. A 10k load on a 10k source reduces the signal voltage to half. If you have more than a few stages then the signal is reduced nearly to zero.

A transistor's collector and its load resistor are a medium impedance. It usually connects to another transistor that has negative feedbck from having an emitter resistor, so its input impedance is very high.

Opamps are frequently used in audio amps. They have an extremely low output impedance so you would never match a load to them.

Dear audioguru
The fact that English is not my native language gives me the right to ask for clarifications regarding your previous answer  ;D
What I understand is that I should go for as much high input impedance and as much low output impedance as I can? Like in the ideal operational/differential amplifier model, where Zin=infinite, Zout=0?