Electronics-Lab.com Community

Ceiling fan remote control regulator

Hi Musty,
A circuit to control the speed of your fan depends on the type of motor in the fan. Some motors have taps to be switched, other motors need the current to be changed and some motors need the frequency to be changed.
So we can't help you until you tell us what kind of motor is in the fan.

I would just try a cheap light dimmer from the store. If the dimmer smokes, then the motor is the wrong kind  for it and a complicated frequency-changing circuit must be found.

Hello Musty!  ;)

Check your Yahoo mail box, i have replied to your Mail. :D

i have already built the project you are talking about.

i built this one ,bcoz iam lazy to get up and adjust Fan speed when watching TV, on computer etc. ;D

i just point the TV Remote to the Sensor and Switch the Speeds.

Here's My Project Pics. I have used 7 Segment LED Display to Indicate Fan Speed.

It goes from 0 to 5.

Nura

post-8859-14279142459602_thumb.jpg

Hello Audioguru & alun :D

Musty Send me a personal Request, for some other Project, which i replied.

i did project some 8 Months back, got the the final result by combing some of my earlier projects. 3- 4 schematics were used. ;D

i drew the schematic on some piece of paper at work place, i'll have to redraw this schematic in Eagle or Smart Draw. it'll take time.

Meanwhile, i can Explain how the whole thing works.

here's the BOM (bill of Material):

Cd 4017
Cd 4016
Tsop 1736
Relays -5 nos
555 IC
BC 547 -5 Nos
Bc 558-1 Nos
LEds-6
Caps + Resis Etc.

working in brief :

Tsop !738 detects Modulated IR signal from the Remote and is amplified by BC 558, to Trigger the Pin 2 of 555 Ic,

a neat Clock Pulse is Obtained at Pin 3 of 555 IC, which is Applied to clock inputs of decade counter 4017 & Sevent segment Driver 4026.

out of  Q0- Q9 outputs of 4017, only 6 O/P s are used here. at the time of reset or power on - Q0 is high which drives a RED LED which is used as an "OFF"  indicator.

on each press of Remote, the Output state of 4017 advances from Q0 -Q5. ons on Sixth key press the counter is reset.

Bc 547 trans are wired to the outputs of the counter to drive each relay which tap the Wire wound  Fan Regulator Resistor.

I chose W/W resistor gives clean Sine wave Output than the dimmers, and no EMI noise .  ;D

(i have also built another remote regulator using Full-Wave Phase Controller. which doesn't use relays) ;)

at any instance only one Relay is Energized and all other are OFF.

the Same way Display Driver advances from 0 to 5 and resets on sixth key press.

here are few pics, i wanted to post Mpeg file but thats 5 MB file  ???

hope this gives a clear picture, Musty!

nura  ;)

post-8859-14279142460084_thumb.jpg

i drew the schematic on some piece of paper at work place, i'll have to redraw this schematic in Eagle or Smart Draw. it'll take time.

I think I have a good enough idea about how it works now thanks to your bom and description but for other memebers who don't you could always scan the drawing and post it if you don't have the time to draw it on the computer.

Hi Nura, nice circuit, even i came up with the same idea but i discarded it because the circuit elements (the relays and wire wound resistors made it quite bulky). The circuit if i'm right switches resistors in the circuit thereby reducing the voltage and contolling the fan speed. i would surly like to see ur version of the phase controller speed regulator, this one is a more efficient and compact choice. ;)

hi nura,

by profession i am a computer programmer, i am in the process of learning electronics. although i do not poses many tools (osc etc..) i have built 2-3 simple electrnic circuits. (but not my own schematics of course)
i just installed a ceiling fan in my room and is it possible to me to have the ceiling fan remote control circuit regulator schematic and BOM.

does anyone poses a circuit without relays (Phase control)

rgds
wimalwimal