Electronics-Lab.com Community

digital amperemeter

Salam

The best thing you can do is to use a MCU (i.e AVR or PIC) then Measure the voltage across a small resistor via the MCU ADC. then Send it to PC. if the dropped voltage across the res is not big enough, you can amplify it before process. Take a look at this schematic. the resistor is just a piece of Wire.

HTH - Shahriar

post-1483-14279142461799_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi my friends
please help me
I need a high resolution digital amperemeter(0-3 A) wich can connect to the computer via parallel or serial or usb.I want to build it for myself so I need a complete datasheet and details.
it is very kind of you if you help me in this case.. :-\

What are you measuring? What is the connection to the PC port doing? This request does not make sense to me. If you are measuring current on the parallel or serial port, these are limited with internal resistors. If the serial or parallel port is used to communicate something to the PC, then you will need to also have software. Please explain more about what you want.

MP

As I understood, they want to connect ampermeter to computer port and get data on monitor...

If so, make ampermeter with 7107 chip. Download datasheet for it.
In there You can find how to make ampermeter.

7106 drives 7-segment 3 1/2 LED display. So take 7-seg to BCD converter (like 74C915). You should be able to connect it to parallel port on Your PC.
Then all You got to do is make little program to monitor ports memory register and print number on screen.
I'm not sure how parallel port works. There are some controll pins on the port.