Electronics-Lab.com Community

High grade pots?

Dead_Nid

Hi! Do you know of any high grade pots and some store to order them from (in Europe preferably)? I know of ALPS but I can't find any resources to buy. Don't know if that is of any importance but I need stereo pots (both linear and logarithmic) with metal shaft and without button capabilities.

Perhaps an idiotic question: Can one make a modification in an amplifier's volume control so that it uses a simple pot instead of a stereo pot?

Thanx, best regards, Nid.

Hi Nid,
Yeah, Alps are very good pots.
To make a Mickey Mouse stereo pot you connect the shafts of two simple pots with a rubber band or something as a belt. Cut one shaft short so it doesn't stick out. ;D ;D

Seriously, you can use a digital stereo pot. Some have control with two pushbuttons, one for volume up and the other for down, or computer control. They have memories too so they "remember" the last-powered setting. Go to www.maxim.com and look at their extremely low distortion and noise. I think www.ti.com also make them.

Hi Nid,
You better wait 'til you grow up before using a digital pot. I'm an old geezer and I never grew up. I've never built anything with a digital pot but my car radio and MP3 player use them.

Spray contact cleaner into your dirty pots and let the crap drain out. Spray them a few times. Then they might work like new if there isn't dirt stuck under the slider.

I've never been a metalhead. I like clear music and lyrics. ;D