Electronics-Lab.com Community

MAKE Magazine

jstevenperry

I did a search for this, so if it's redundant, I apologize in advance. I'm not affiliated with the magazine, other than I am an author of books from the same publisher (O'Reilly). This magazine is great. But I've wondered if anyone else has had problems with parts availability. That's my main question. Seems like the projects in the mag require parts that can only be acquired from different dealers.

Is there a market for the projects from the magazine? I could definitely order the parts, put them all together and tell you guys where to get them. Or --- let you guys order them from me. Cut out the middleman, right? You've all ordered kits before, right?

Just wondering about your thoughts.... Here's a URL

http://www.makezine.com/

I appreciate the reply. I have only built one of the projects (Issue #2 - Mousebot), but had to get the parts from two different places because of price. I got the motors from Solarbotics, and everything else from Jameco. (Jameco didn't have motors small enough to fit in the mouse case.) So I paid like 2.35 each for motors and 7 bucks or so for shipping. To make it worth it I ordered 10 motors.

I live in Little Rock, AR, USA, so if a part I need isn't at Radio Shack (and sadly, that is becoming more and more the case) I have to order it. I'm finding there are SO many electronics stores online. I've ordered from All Electronics, Jameco, Carl's Electronics, Elenco and Solarbotics, but that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.

As for the books, I wrote "Java Management Extensions" and a chapter of "Java Enterprise Best Practices", both published in 2002.

--steve

That's neat. And so is google Earth. I must have spent 4 hours the first night I installed it looking up the addresses of different people I know.

My son spotted my brand new car in the driveway of my daughter's home and the car I traded in the driveway of my home. I guess the pics of the different areas were taken on different days.
Some locations are very clear and others not so good. ;D

My son spotted my brand new car in the driveway of my daughter's home and the car I traded in the driveway of my home. I guess the pics of the different areas were taken on different days.
Some locations are very clear and others not so good. ;D

I've noticed that too. But not only that, it seems that the more rural areas have the least up-to-date satellite photos based on recent expansion in Little Rock that is not reflected in the photos, and comparing that to more urban areas like, say, the Atlanta metro area. And areas of forrest will be different colors, I guess indicating that they were taken at different seasons of the year.