Electronics-Lab.com Community

Magnetic Induction charged Torch

Sukhbinder

Hi guys, i just saw on the net at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Induction-Charged-LED-Torch-No-Batteries-Ever-NEW_W0QQitemZ8730468431QQcategoryZ117110QQcmdZViewItem
a LED torch which used no batteries. I've seen such devices earlier also , they shake the torch to charge it up and it work for 15-20mins. Using a LED reduces the current drain. I got one like it at fair but it was a duplicate one with 2 3V lithium batteries powering it. There is a coil in it but not conected. I need to add a magnet but i need some one to suggest a way to store the charge. if i connect a capacitor to the coil, the cap will be charged a bit by the coil when i shake it but will it not also discharge through the coil when the torch is stationary. Also when the magnet moves in one direction and then in the other direction won't the direction of voltages generated be opposite (more like AC and don't Capacitors act as short circuit to AC voltages) I f one needs DC we need to rectify it but how to rectify small voltages with common diodes. How to store the charge and let the discharge be gradual as from my previous experieces if u connect an LED to a charged cap, the led gives a flash of light and then glows dimly until the cap is completly discharged. Any ideas for this? since i have the enclosure fitted with a single white LED, a reflector and a convex lens glass in the front, i may be able to make a working prototype with help from u guys. :D