Electronics-Lab.com Community

its been kind of .....DEAD lately...

ECET0purdue

well i cant wait to see what it is.... you must live near chicago too.... there was so much snow..i clean behind my car duriing my lunch break ...when i went to leave it looked worse....( i think the guys at work played a trick on me but who knows)  .... umm maybe a new project..tires that heat up so it will melt the snow and you could get out easy? 
cheers,
glen

The same snow storm that was in Chicago came here to Toronto.
I threatened the Mayor that I will melt all the snow that they dump into my driveway and leave the street covered in ice. The Mayor replied that then my neighbours and I won't be going anywhere.
It's too bad that snow is white and reflects a laser beam. So I can't write nasty things in the snow to melt it.

It didn't snow today so I got lots done on my new project. You'll would see it soon but it's going to snow again tonight and tomorrow and the next day and the next day .....

Since I am a Canadian then I am welcomed in Cuba where it is nice and warm.

Hi Guys,

Well, I won’t say dead but not much has happened here while I was in Germany for a few days.
Audioguru: I can’t hide my curiosity; you sound a bit intriguing so I too await the outcome of your old/new project. Does it have any tubes by the way? ;D
They have a nice drink in Cuba called Cuba libre, ever heard of it?

Does it have any tubes by the way? ;D

I don't use tubes anymore 'cause I can't buy 90V batteries anymore. When I was young I potted two 45V batteries and some neon bulbs in clear plastic as a chaser. After about a year IT BLEW UP! I didn't know that batteries need to be vented.

They have a nice drink in Cuba called Cuba libre, ever heard of it?

Of course I drank Cuban Rum and Coke! But the name-brand rum was real and their house-brand was without alcohol. My first drinks with name-brand rum nearly sent me swimming over to Florida.
My wifey and I were treated like VIP's by the resort's staff and entertainers because she speaks Spanish. ;D

Hi all happy seasons.
Im yet another intregue reader.
Has anyone designed a project using the new series of valves?
HAy we have cubalibra in uk but never drank it myself, mor of a guinnesor wisky drinker (im only 26 with 2 large bottles of wisky and a 1 year long hangove due to 7 pints of Guinness last carnival (actual well over a year ago)
But OT Dont ket drunk this christmas because you may regreate it next year.

Hi ABJ,
A 1 year long hangover? Were you still alive? ??? ???

I don't drink much anymore because I have so many things on the go. At Christmas I'll probably drink a little to get more of a smile on my face, but certainly not get drunk and regret it.

I don't build things with tubes (valves) anymore because they burn my fingers when I unplug them to replace them. ;D

Hi All,

What a great site! Sitting here at the mo in 33C sipping a cold beer....(what's a snow plough??...lol)

I'm a newbie to the electronics field, having dabbled a bit as a youngster and then having to go into the workplace :( . So, in preparation for my mid-life crisis, I have decided to follow up and do something I have always wanted to do. I am currently teaching myself about this subject and boy! - a lot of theory!!.

Anyways, I thought I would try my hand at a bit of PCB design and started with the LED sequencer project you have on this site. I have drawn up a 4-module and an 8-module board and am hoping that someone with more knowledge could review this for potential errors (track sizes, distance b/w nets, etc.).

I am also in the process of setting up a lab in my shed and have been following the forum on the 30v-5a PSU (after 52 pages about the original 3a version and another 19 on the 5a version,  my knowledge in electronic theory has improved a bit!). I think I'll wait until this project has been finalised before attempting to build it.

BTW - got a great Opportunity Shop (y'know, a church fundraising shop) in my town - just picked up a large box of various electronic components (caps,  resistors, pots, IC sockets, etc.) for $20 Aus  ;D , very happy indeed.

hope you all enjoy the weather over there...hhmmm...beer's almost empty...and hope to speak again.

P.S. If this doesn't belong here, please move to the right spot.

Pad2Pad_print_job_LED_Sequencer.pdf

Pad2Pad_print_job_LED_Sequencer_2.pdf

Hi Monster,
Welcome to our forum. ;D
You must be building this project: http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/motor_light/026/index.html

The author claims that it is an improvement on a 40 year old circuit that used germanium transistors. But he forgot that silicon transistors have an avalanche breakdown of their reverse-biased emitter-base junction of only 5V or 6V.

The BC337 transistor that is listed has an absolute max voltage rating of 5V.
With 1.7V LEDs, the capacitor in the circuit will charge to 5V if the battery voltage is only 7.4V, then discharge with an extremely high current into an avalanche-breakdown emitter-base junction if the battery voltage is any higher.

Therefore I recommend adding diodes to the transistors to protect them:

post-1706-14279142556525_thumb.png

post-1706-14279142556588_thumb.png

Hi ABJ,
A 1 year long hangover? Were you still alive? ??? ???

I have to be careful now because after those 7 pints  1/2 years ago(finially worked out the actual time frame), i dont know if i did majour damage but now only one pint gets me very Drunk!

I don't drink much anymore because I have so many things on the go. At Christmas I'll probably drink a little to get more of a smile on my face, but certainly not get drunk and regret it.

I try to have a small glass of wisky once a week to keep my guts good (recomended by doctors)
I dont recomend getting drunk cus its not a pritty site, the only good think about being drunk is that all girls/women look good!.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...