Electronics-Lab.com Community

Help needed with metronome using 555

ben9

Hi, I'm from Colombia, actually, I'm a musician.

I built a metronome using a 555 timer, and I'am very satisfied with the results. It works with a 12V DC supply, and works very well with batteries. The frequency of each beat is perfect, even when I use lower voltages. (I have tested it with 3.0 to 12V).

For example, when I set it for 40 Beats Per Minute, every beat will be each 1500 milliseconds. (actually, it´s not digital, so I use a potentiometer to set the TEMPO).

Nice. but I use the metronome with a Transformer or adaptor, conecting to an AC line, and I've found that there are some variatios in the period of each beat. for example: Setting it for 40 BPM, a beat can be at 1520 milliseconds, the otherone at 1505, etc. I mean, there is a variation in the period or frecuency. I think this happens because the DC out is not "CLEAN" I mean the AC is not well rectified. I installed an Electrolitic Capacitor of 2200uf after the bridge rectifier, and I got a little improvement. I installed a ceramic capacitor (0.01uf) between pins 1 and 8 (555's voltage supply)  and another between pin 5 and ground, in order to get more stability. How can I to reduce this variation? how can I to get a better rectified DC output?.
Thanks (please, excuse my english). have a happy new year!!!

post-16032-14279142573016_thumb.jpg

Hi Ben

the fact that your circuit works happily with batteries means that there is nothing wrong with it.  I suspect that the transformer/adaptor connected to the AC line is not capable of supplying the current needed to drive the speaker at a sensible volume.

A couple of things to try...

Use a (preferably analogue) multimeter in series with the batteries to measure current or -

If you can borrow/obtain a power supply which has a current and voltage readout, you can verify how much current is needed at 12V, you will then be able to say if the adaptor is 'man-enough' to work.

Hope that helps

Ed