Electronics-Lab.com Community

need help designing a power supply 3.6V 10A

Hi Logitec

3.6V @ 10A IS 36W.  If your converter is, say, 80% efficient, this means that the input power is 10/8*36 = 45W. Therefore the input current at 4V would be 11.25A,  if this amount of current is available then you will need to design a DC-DC converter to do the task.  This means learning about a number of things and experimenting as well.  Learning about inductance, rate of rise of current in an inductance, properties of transistors used as a high current switch and a host of other things.

However, the effort is worth it and one of the best introductions to the subject that I know of are the applications notes of the various manufacturers who produce DC-DC converters.

Best of Luck

Ed

Hi Logitec

I don't know of a linear regulator chip (like the 7805) which will do as you require with an input which is only 0.4V above the required regulated voltage and that's why I gave the answer that I did, I know that manufacturers are continually improving their products and what you need may be available real soon - but I haven't seen it  ???

Ed

the input voltage is 4V not 0.4V
and the out put3.6V

and i dont think that in my place so new components will be available to me
so lets go to the other way we can do this
transistor + resistor
but the voltage will be juppy after the transformer so i need another chip so lets say stablize to 4V from 5V
where can i get one like this?
and witch transistor and resistor i need?

Hi,
If you have a +5 you must use exactly this to make 3.6, no any reason to make 4 and then from 4 make 3.6.  In post above this 0.4 V is the differences between input and output, the 0.4 V is a very small difference, many of good DC-DC chips work with different around 0.8 V, but if you have a 5 V then you have not a problem. If the input voltage is 5 and the output is 3.6 this is a 1.4 V over the regulator, this is the 14 W, not very easy to be cooled. My suggestion is use the DC-DC convertor, the LM2743/45/48 or something like this.