Electronics-Lab.com Community

Transformer Winding Sequence Question

Kain

I was looking at some SMPS and saw the informaton about the winding sequence of the transformers and inductors. Can anybody here explain the meaning of the information below? This is what is typed in the datasheet:

L2
RM10PA250-3F3 PHILIPS
10T PRIMARY LITZ(2X10X,1)
60T SECONDARY LITZ(1X15X,1)
WINDING SEQUENCE
(PRIM-10T, SEC-30T, PRIM-10T,SEC-30T, PRIM-10T)

Oh and by the way, Happy New Year to everybody!!! ;D

The article where I took this data from is basically the application of HID lamp controller made by TI. There is an inductor and a transformer that I am willing to try and build but one problem is that I don't quite know where I can buy the transformer core from. Here is the article in PDF. The way I understand the transformer data is:
RM10PA250-3F3 PHILIPS              -      transformer core
10T PRIMARY LITZ(2X10X,1)          -      primary winding is 10 turns, but LITZ(2X10X,1)....I have no idea
                                                              it might be wire data?? ::)

60T SECONDARY LITZ(1X15X,1)    -      secondary is 60 turns, and again LITZ(1X15X,1)....
The winding sequence - I just don't understand it at all.

HID.pdf

Hi Kain,
Philips ferrites website is at www.ferroxcube.com . I couldn't manage to search it.
Litz wire is individually insulated strands of wire in parallel. I have never seen it for sale to hobbiests.
Usually an IC maker like TI would have the circuit with a detailed parts list with suppliers names in the datasheet of the main controller IC.

Here you go.................

https://www.surplussales.com/Wire-Cable/LitzWire.html

In regards to:

L2
RM10PA250-3F3 PHILIPS
10T PRIMARY LITZ(2X10X,1)
60T SECONDARY LITZ(1X15X,1)
WINDING SEQUENCE
(PRIM-10T, SEC-30T, PRIM-10T,SEC-30T, PRIM-10T)

This is a coupled inductor. The core is a Ferroxcube RM10, with 3F3 core material, with an inductance factor of 250nH/1000T. 3F3 material is typically used from 100KHz to just over 1MHz, and avoid running it at more that 3000 gauss.

The winding sequence is to maximize coupling and minimize leakage inductance. As for the winding sequence