Electronics-Lab.com Community

Switching polarity of motor

I'm trying to figure out a simple way to have a motor, hooked up to a timer circuit, that will switch polarity at a set interval.  In other words, after, say 3 minutes, the polarity going to the motor will switch, putting the motor in reverse, then after another three minutes switch back.  I'm pretty much a novice, so any help with this would be great.  It will be part of a sound sculpture for my masters thesis exhibition.

I am assuming that if this is your Master Thesis, you have had experience programming microcontrollers in the course? Seems like micro and SSR would be pretty simple. Pin 1 high, pin 2 low...wait 3 minutes, pin 1 low, pin 2 high...wait X number of minutes, do whatever else you want.

MP

Sorry to disappear, I thought the site would email me when replies were posted.  Anyway, I don't have any experience programming.  I'm getting my masters in fine art, so I know a lot about welding and oil paint and all that, but this is my first foray into electronics other than simple wiring.

After a lot of consideration I realized that it would be easiest to have the needle move in a full circle rather than up and down for the simple fact that there would be no direction change.  I appreciate all the suggestions.

If you're interested, images of the piece should be up in about a month at my website: www.jeffreythompson.org