Electronics-Lab.com Community

Some kind of RPM counter

Hi,
well, i really don't know wich ones to take... never had experience with photo elements before... but, its time to change it...
I atached a list of elements from our 'local' shop... don't worry, it's only about 30 of them...  ;D And I'm soory if the choice is bad... we don't have much electronic stores, and what we have is ussualy expensive... Hope it's gonna change some day...
So, please find something for me...

Have a nice day...   

opto.txt

The BP103 photo-transistors have a very wide 55 degrees pickup pattern. Any of the other photo-transitors on your list have a much narrower pattern and would be fine.

I am sorry but I didn't look at all the photo-diodes. Some might be an optical emitter , others only infrared which you can't see and others might be a detector instead of an emitter.

Hi!

I'm back again. I assembled the counter...  ;)
Tooked BPW40 and ordinary white LED.

And of course, there are the problems...
1. It works just fine when I put the diode on one side of rotating disc and transistor
    on the other, and cut a hole in disc so Tr can 'see' diode in one moment of
    rotation. (excuse me for bad description, hard to me say it in English  :'()...
    But when I try to put them both on the same side and use reflection from
    white/black area, it doesn't react. What can I do?
2. OK, this one I belive can be done later, but anyway: how to calibrate the   
    meter?

Regards

Your white LED is really a blue one with a yellowish phosphor, and doesn't match your phototransistor's color response very well. It can be made much more sensitive:

1) The phototransistor can be made more sensitive by increasing the value of R4. The resistor at pin 2 should also be increased so that its value is up to 10 times higher.

2) The LED can be made brighter by decreasing the value of R3 to 220 ohms for the white LED that probably has a forward voltage of 3.3V to 3.6V and a 9V supply.