Electronics-Lab.com Community

Breaking generator to get constant load

volzon

Hi!

I have a hydropower 3 phase 55KVA generator with no regulation.
What I want to make is an electronic load that holds the load constant.

The load must adjust automaticaly when I for example turn on my oven so the total load on the generator allways is constant.

I've been thinking of using triacs or tyristors like you do in a dimmer, and burn the energy in large resistor. And controll it with a PLC or something like that.

But how will this affect the output? Will the sine wave still bee perfect?

Is there anyone having any good ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Volzon

Hi volzon,

Welcome to our forum.

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here, (“always is constant load”). To put a load on a fairly big alternator (55kWA) like yours require some heavy stuff (could illuminate a soccer field at night). The way to deal whit an alternator is to control it by an exciter circuit which senses the load and adjust the output accordingly. This will also keep the sine wave clean.   

Hi volzon!
A company called IREM located in Spain or Italy have solutions with constant load for their small turbines for "standing alone" use. I'm not sure if their system handle as much power as you've got- There might be other solutions, but then I need some more information about your system. 
1: What sort of generator?
2: What sort of turbine?
3: Is there a flywheel in your construction?
4: How much of the total load do you need to have adjustable?
I have the same challenge with my 4 kwa generator, and have some ideas of how to solve the problem. 

Hi tnk2k!
I agree that burning off power is waste of energy, but the reason why volzon  ??? want to keep constant load on his generator is maybe because he's of some reason is unable to connect to grid. If you have the possibility of connecting to the grid; then the problem is solved, and you can forget about constant load problems.

Hi Polarman!

1. I've not decided wich generator to buy yet, but I think it will be an 3 phase self magneting. So I don't have to regulate the voltage.
2. pelton turbine
3. Yes there is a flywheel
4. I need to adjust 100% of the total load

The turbine is an old pelton with a very slow gravity regulator, and it will not bee good enough even with the flywheel when on isolated grid.

The reason I can not deliver the unused power to the grid is because it is nearly 15km away.

My idea on solving this is to measure the load in all three phases and use this to decide when in the half period to use the triac or tyristor. Then I can also avoid unbalanced load.

Another way to do it is to measure the speed of the generator with a tachometer, but this will not adjust eventually unballanced load.

Do you have any meanings on what configuration of tyristors/triacs and resistors to use.

I found a webpage about this, but I'm not sure what to use.
http://www.ccipower.com/support/load.php

Hi volzon!
Maybe you misunderstood my question about how much of the load that have to be regulated? I thought that if you had mostly all effect (up to 80 %) used all the time, and then the rest (10+-%) would be the adjustable (when you put in the owen) I think that will go fine with no regulation, if you could accept a little change of output voltage. If your powerplant is planned for several households, and all power have to be adjustable, I think the best solution is to use a tacometer on the generator, combined with a simple PLS to adjust the inlet needle with an electric actuator. Of course you know that the constant load will require constant maximum waterflow on the turbine. That's not a problem if you always have enough water. I'm sorry I cannot give any advice on tyristors/triacs.