Electronics-Lab.com Community

Automate Machine

I would like to automate this machine to bend tubes on it’s own. This machine bends by rolling tubes back and forth multiple times. Please look at picture below to better understand how this machine works.

What I need to do is put proximity sensors on point A and point B. Run the tube across the machine till it reaches point A, automatically stop, and the run the tube across in the opposite direction to point B, automatically stop, and continue the cycle back and forth.

As the tube is being pushed back and forth automatically, Roller 1 is moved in a downward direction, by gear driven motor, a little at a time, during each cycle. Currently Roller 1 has a push-button to move it down and a push-button to move it up. I could put Roller 1 on a relay timer that would turn on the motor for 3 to 5 second during each cycle till it is reaches a limit switch that would turn it off the machine.

Rollers 2 & 3 move simultaneously on one gear driven motor that pushes the metal tube back and forth. The motor has a switch with three positions: Back, Forth and Off.

The proximity sensor are battery powered that attach to the metal tube with magnets. They have a Normally Closed and Normally Open function.

What would be great is to put the metal tube on the machine, set the limit switch to the proper height, attach the proximity sensor on the ends of the tube and the press a button to automatically bend the tube. Once Roller 1 reaches its limit switch, have a loud alarm go off for a few seconds and turn off.

What I need is a schematic showing me how to wire everything together.

Any help would be appreciated

post-16666-14279142632561_thumb.jpg

Hi,
you have a two possibilities, first is buy a controller, many company have a controllers that work with user software, Siemens, Honeweel, Rockweel etc. this is a PLC controllers.
Second way is to make own contorller, but if you want to program time and cycles, you must use microcontroller, but this not be a very easy for beginner, the another problem is that this is the machine, and i think this machine will work in a workshop where have other machines, welding, cutting etc. If this is right, the controller must be with really good soft and hardware, to prevent any EMC problems. This is not very difficult if you have a experience, but if you never do this,not be a very easy for you.
Actually have one more way, to using a standard counter and timers, and made the relay circuits.

Hi,
I understand that he want to automated all process, the process is complex, first moving role down,bending, moving down, bending .... to the moment when have a required radius of bending. For this reason i think is need something more that switch, but if he use a counter and timer, i think can do this very easy without any program. Have a many different counters and timer, mechanical, electromechanical ot electronics, they is made exactly for this type of needs, in this case user will set a numbers of the cycles, and the time to moving down.

Tony:
Perhaps privas could explain more, but from his explanation it seems to me that he is only turning the existing functions (motors) on and off after a particular movement for which he has already incorporated proximity switches. Thus it only requires some switching and timing. Nothing complex about that. Certainly this is not so complex that he needs to purchase a PLC or learn to program a micro. (In your previous post you said he only had two possibilities.)

Machinery to do this has been around for years. Long before either of these methods were available. It was all done with gates and switches...and before gates, it was done with DTL and later with TTL.

MP

Hi MP,
you are  very right, for a uC he will need more experience, a PLC may be will be more easy,  but again will need some experience and knowledges that i think he not have. But if using a simple timer and counter modules will need just to make the connection between them and we can give him the shematic diagram.

About the process, this is a bending machine for tube, i see this type of machine, and know how it's works. To make a bending with fixed radius is need several time to repeat too same process, because if you try to make small bending radius on one time, in better case you will have bad quality. If you want to make a 50 sm radius for example, first you must made 2 m, after this 1 m, and then 50 sm, to prevent a tube bashing. Actually this is not complex in meaning that is a very difficult, but need to repeat several time one operation.
I understood that he  want to put the tube, set the need radius or number of cycles and role movement, run the machine, and machine say "I am ready" when finish the operation :)

I'm considering use the development board on this link

http://www.pjrc.com/store/dev_pcb_assem.html
I like this board because I don't need to buy a pic programmer and it seems to be able to do a lot of different things.

What do you guys think. Is there a better development board for this application?

I don't know how to write code but I'm hoping someone can help me with that.

privas

So do I
  Thats a 8051 board wicth isn't bad but it will take a lot of time to program. If your just looking to controll one machine there is a product out there called mini brick. What that is a small selfprogramming controller that will operate relays at different time periods. We use them all the time were I work at. I work at a Amusement Park. Life is fun. Anyways we use the minibricks to controll lights, air cyclinders, sound machines, and whatever needs to be controlled.
                                have fun gogo

I'm considering use the development board on this link

http://www.pjrc.com/store/dev_pcb_assem.html
I like this board because I don't need to buy a pic programmer and it seems to be able to do a lot of different things.

What do you guys think. Is there a better development board for this application?

I don't know how to write code but I'm hoping someone can help me with that.

privas

Privas, 8051 is a good architecture, and this looks like a very nice development board. Another alternative is the STK300 which allows both 8051 and it's big brother, the AVR to be plugged in. However, keep in mind that 8051 and AVR can be programmed in-circuit and you could just build a basic board with sockets for crystal and micro and some headers to connect to other things.

Another real nice alternative is the SimmStick boards at www.dontronics.com
Take a look at these. You can snap then together to prototype all kinds of development environments and not have to etch a pc board. Very inexpensive - most ~ US$5 to US$10 each. For example, I have mounted a display to one of the DT202 boards which I plug into the DT007 Mini-Motherboard Simm Stick whenever I need a display for my AVR platform. I have my micro on a DT107, which can be used for 8051, 8052, and 28 pin AVR micros. I tend to use this a lot more than my STK development system. These inexpensive boards can be built however you want, then plugged together like SimmSticks in a computer motherboard. (I have no affiliation with Dontronics. Just a happy customer.)

Hope this info is helpful.

BTW....8051 does not take a lot of time to program.

MP