Electronics-Lab.com Community

charger for Cordless phone battery.

hi all
iam working on a school LED project.where we need to use a 3.6v 300ma battery(one used in cardless phones).u know cordless phone chargers are dumb type.can u suggest me some good charger for this battery pack.
i don't want  hi-fi type of charger.just simple one which makes the battery last for long times without destroying it.and if it got some indictor it would be great.
thanks in advance

b00005qz0r01lzzzzzzz6xu.th.jpg

i dono much abt these abt these rechargbles.but i think ni-cd shld be chrged at 1.5+pack voltage and c/10 of its current rating it.
if it is true then i need 5.1v @ 30ma for 14Hr .

I don't know where you learned the wrong voltage formula.
Each cell will charge to 1.4V to 1.5V. Therefore the 3-cell battery will be 4.2V to 4.5V when fully charged.
The LM3117 needs at least 2V across it and the current-sensing resistor has a 1.25V drop, so the minimum input voltage to the circuit is 7.75V.

is current calculation is right(c/10 for 14Hrs)?

Yes, if the battery is rated for 300mA/hrs.

if yes then the final result will be 7-8v input to LM317 with R1 82Ohms resistor.(as ante said) can charge a 3.6v battery pack safely in 14Hrs

No. 7V is too low. "The  minimum input voltage to the circuit is 7.75V."

got it.
thanks.

is there any particular formula for this resistor value.
imean in furture if i want to charge packs of 700ma or 800ma etc i need to change resistors too right.

and gyus to charge AA or AAA "single cell" what modification shld be done in  lm317 design.

The voltage drop across R1 is always 1.2Volts (controlled by the regulator), using (I = U / R )you get the charge current.
Example; 1.2 V / 82 Ohm =  0.0146 A that means about 15 mA!
If you increase the charge current to 800mA you need a heatsink for the LM317!
Got it? ;D

Hi fever,

That’s correct for C/10 but I suggested 15mA so that you could leave the pack unattended for an “unlimited” period of time. If you like you can add another 82 Ohm resistor in parallel to have C/10 – 14 h charge. I made a drawing for you, if you leave the switch open its C/20 if closed it’s C/10.
If you don’t need the C/20 setting just omit the switch. The reason for two resistors is that it’s not easy to find a 40 Ohm resistor but two 82 in parallel is 41 Ohm and that is just fine. 8)

post-929-14279142731984_thumb.png

cool.
thanks a lot ante.
tomorrow i'll get some resistors of different values.so that i can make it variable.
imean 15ma-c/20
          30ma-c/10 for 14Hr
          60ma-c/5  for 7Hrs (ofcourse not preferable)
thanks once again.for helping me
u ppl are just really amazing .  :-*