Electronics-Lab.com Community

PSP HDD

xtreme-gamer

ok, i have a psp and i want to make a external hdd compatable with it. the only external memory compatable with the psp though, is memory stick duo. there is a 4GB one here: http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3707 but i want to make something that i can use to hook up any of my hdds with more space(a 20+GB hdd would be nice). does anyone know anything about how i could set up a power souce seperate from the psp but with a memory stick duo connection?
P.S. i dont know much about electronics but my dad does and i can learn so please give a idiot friendly answer.

ok, i have a psp and i want to make a external hdd compatable with it. the only external memory compatable with the psp though, is memory stick duo. there is a 4GB one here: http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3707 but i want to make something that i can use to hook up any of my hdds with more space(a 20+GB hdd would be nice). does anyone know anything about how i could set up a power souce seperate from the psp but with a memory stick duo connection?
P.S. i dont know much about electronics but my dad does and i can learn so please give a idiot friendly answer.

Looks like your dad will need to teach you how to program a microcontroller before you can get started.

MP

i can program (a little bit). i just dont know how to make the material part or it(the drive, connections, etc.). also, no offence to my dad but, i can actually program a little more than he can(except for dos, which is probably what i need to program huh?). can someone tell me how to wire and program the hdd ???
P.S. srry for the confusing post.

This might help. HD and Flash card are pretty much the same in connection. This link has a schematic and some sample code to read the hard drive and/or flash card.

http://www.mcselec.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=57

MP

what was that that went over my head?! lol, i dont know that much about programing. i need something that tells me what connections i need to make and what to program in the hdd(and psp), also how to program it in(i dont know how to tell the psp what ports to read). i know im asking for alot, but i REALLY want to make this cause i cant buy a portable media center and i hate transfering to and from my psp everytime i want something different on it.

actually here, this is the setup i had in mind: a ATI hdd in a external case, a connection through a memory stick duo, and a battery(preferably lithium or any long lasting battery) powering the hdd. now i have no idea how to connect any of that so i need instructions how to make that(how to wire and program). plzzzzzzzzz understand i dont have much know how on this stuff and i would really appreciate anyone giving me step by step instructions.