Electronics-Lab.com Community

Battery Voltage distribution Help Required--!!!

Hi guys!

well! i have a 12VDC 5Ah battery. I want to operate a no of components from it.

Now someone in this forum suggested me to use a LM317 regulator.

IM posting a schematic that i got from LM317 datasheet. SHould i use this schematic for the regulator that i want to connect before my PIC.

LM317 can provide a max output current of 1.5A. I want to ask u people one thing here. Look at the circuit below. THis circuit is going to give 5V at the output. But what current it will give at the output. Will this output current depend upon the load. I mean will this current be drawn at the output as much only as the load demands but within 1.5 A?

heres im making a mistake my dear friends. Just like a battery which has 12VDC and 5Ah of current rating. WHat this 5Ah means?

does this mean that the motor can supply a max of 5A at 1 hour continously. You can even draw 6 or 7A from this battery but the time of supplying will get reduced?

isnt like that?

Then what about the regulator output?

It supplies to me a voltage of 5V but what current it is giving me to my load. Is it supplying all the time 1.5A? or the current will be drawn by the load automatically according to its need?

PIC requires a current of about 100mA so a regulator like LM317 will provide it 1.5A or 100mA?

here is the schematic i was talking abt:

LM317_regulator.JPG

shaiqbashir, 5AH means 5 Amp-Hours, and is an indicator of the total energy capacity (NOT capacitance) of the battery, that is, the total energy that the battery can supply under specific, ideal, conditions.  (Well, it's not really an ENERGY rating because the Amp-Hour rating does not take voltage into consideration, but it is a handy comparison between various battery sizes of the same voltage.)

to staigen!

Thanks a lot!

i would be waiting for ur Schematic.

thanks a lot once again

@awright

Thanks a lot Mr. Awright!

You have really cleared things to me about the regulator. and you are right that English is not my primary Language. Actually I know grammar very well but perhaps i have spoiled my grammar in making you understand what im asking to make it clear to u as much as possible.
I will try my level best not to repeat it again.

Take carez

Good Bye