Electronics-Lab.com Community

De-soldering

cynicmonster

Hi All,

Is it just me being a novice in this field, or is there a knack to de-soldering components from commercially made boards?

During my travels I have aquired several old boards which have components which (I think) would be useful. It seems though that they are very hard to de-solder (I have been using both a solder sucker and braid).

Am I wasting my time, or is there a proper way of doing it?

Regards,

cynicmonster

I have tried several times to desolder components from old PSUs mostly and it worked, It is easy to desolder resistors or diodes but I had a difficulty at transistors and ICs, I didn't used a "sucker" I just heat it and pull it.  It's not the best way but it worked.

Hello cynicmonster
    I tried different ways of desoldering. I used solder wicks, spring loaded solder suckers. even used a probane tourch. All work to some degree but I found a better tool that didn't cost that much, Its called a Desoldering Iron, its sort of like a soldering iron but has a hole in the center of the tip and a squeze ball atttacted to it. Works real good and I got one at Radio Shack for under 15 bucks. Its cool you let the iron heat up and when its ready you just squeze the ball and place the iron on the solder joint you want to desolder, when you see the solder start to melt release the squeze ball and the solder is sucked up, nice and clean. I have been tearing apart old printers and stuff and found it to work real good on transistors and even ic's.
                                            Have Fun
                                            gogo

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses.

Ante..wtf...I have no idea what it is you are holding, but it looks very 'Tim the Toolman'. I'm sure it would look great in my shed  ;D

Gogo..thanks for putting me on to the sucker. I looked up the item you mentioned (found it on the Radio Shack website), but I have yet to find them available in Oz. I don't know if I could justify the cost to get one out here, but am seriously considering it. I'll keep harassing our local stockists  :)

Should I be concerned about the temp. components might reach during de-soldering? I have a temp. controlled iron, but I am also aware of the tech. data that advise of soldering temps v's time.

Thanks All,

cynicmonster

Hi monster,

It’s a “Heat gun” or “Hot air gun”, very useful! Try to find one that comes with a small nozzle (like the picture).

From a website: “Heat guns have many uses in industry. Heat guns are commonly used in electronics for shrinking "heat shrink" insulation tubing and tapes, drying out circuits that got wet, trouble shooting temperature related electronic faults, to re-flow soldering or removing surface mount components. Because heat guns generate and blow hot air at extremely temperatures. (much hotter than a hair dryer) they have many other industrial uses like softening and forming plastics and composite materials, to removing paint from surface finishes. A heat gun is a very useful tool to have around and makes a great addition to any work bench or tool collection.”

Hi Ante
  Ya it looks pretty cool, just wish I could find someone who has one to see if its any good. The reason for that is because there is another hot air Iron station I am looking at for around 200 bucks. and  I was thinking maybe i should go that way. Don't know yet. Just waiting for different replys.
                                      Have fun
                                      gogo