Electronics-Lab.com Community

dipole antenna formula

sssaaa

I assume when you say formula you want to know what dimensions you need to use. If this is the case then you should consider the centre frquency that you want. To make things easy we will use 100Mhz which is close enough to the centre frequency.

Now that we have 100Mhz as the frequency one full wave length at that frequency is 3 metres, so a half wave dipole will require 2 lengths of 1.5M. Most antennas for the FM band are made from 300ohm ribbon. You slice down the middle of one end 1.5M and spread them out horizontally. For it to work the best you need to make sure that it is perpendicular to the direction to the transmitting antenna.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi sssaaa!

Did you read our posts?
windoze killa and I wrote about how to calculate the length.
The formula is in there, just calculate the antenna at center 84Mhz it will do just fine for listening no need for two antennas, 150/84=Half wave dipole length in meters, cut the length in two pieces solder a 75 ohm coax or a twin lead to the two ends depending on the transmission hang the antenna horizontal or vertical.
If you want two antennas just use the formula above and insert the frequency of interest.

Hi sssaaa!

As I said for listening it is not that critical, those formulas take conductor thickness as well as speed of the radio wave into acount. One can say that as the antenna element gets thicker the total length decreases and the antenna will cover a greater bandwith. If the antenna is to be used as transmitting antenna you will have to tune the antenna by cutting to proper length and resonance.
468/Mhz= length in feet is a formula for guys living in US  ;D