Electronics-Lab.com Community

How to add a mute system to an OpAmp

Dear windoze killa
Thank you very much, Strange Abbreviation  :)

Dear Audioguru

I Had the same oponion to mute the signal in the same manner as you said, Of course with a BJT. I thought if the signal has a DC (i.e. 3V) then it works but when there is no DC I didn't have any oponion for Negative Cycles of Signal. Because in this condition, the Base-Collector Junction would go in Forward bias.
what would happen with a FET?

2- what I tested yesterday, In the Non-Inverting PAiA ciruit I attached, I put a NPN Transistor Between the 100k Resistor (R11) on the Noninverting pin of IC1:B and GND. When the Transistor was ON everything would work fine, when it goes Off, The Output would saturates gradually, but I didn't test it with a Sound Signal to see if It affect quality in Normal Condition.
What do you think?

ThanX
Shahriar

Hi Shahriar,
The ordinary transistor has very reduced current gain when the signal ihas reversed polarity so the muting will be a little rectified.
Use a jFET like I said. It is a voltage-variable resistor and with the low level from the mic it will have low distortion even if you ramp the muting.
Wien bridge oscillators frequently use a jFET for amplitude control.

Dear Audioguru

Thank you very much...

But do you have any oponion about The Transistor in the noninverting Pin.
Have I explained it clear?

Like I said, an ordinary transistor would probably rectify the signal when it is turned on which would make low-level distortion. JFETs have been used for muting frequently.