Electronics-Lab.com Community

Can i discharge Li-lon Battery Pack

Bantu

Hope this is the right forum.

Background:
I have an IBM T20 ThinkPad laptop. This Laptop apperently has a glitch according to the IBM site which really offers no practical solution. I left the laptop off but connected to the AC over night. this fully charged the battery or according to IBM over charged the battery. Because of this the laptop has not been able to BOOT. the little battery light comes on (green) but thats about it. Googling on the net has revealed that this is a common problem and the solution is to wait three to four weeks for the battery to discharge. After that i would have to be puling out the power cable before shutting down the laptop and let the battery completely discharge.

Problem:
I can't wiat three weeks because i have got a enough deadlines in between and all my work is on the laptop. I am in Africa, Zambia, Lusaka and getting a new batter will take just as long...three weeks so i am outrightly smacked for a solution.

Battery:
IBM Li-lon
10.8V  3.6AH

Possible quick Solution:
For me its unfortunately finding a way to quickly discharge the battery. Question is - is there a way i can do that.

Hi,

Most laptops I have encountered will work fine without its battery pack present. If you need your computer and have access to mains power you should be able to run it if you remove the battery. However, I’m not sure if it’s possible to discharge the battery outside the computer and make it start afterwards because in some computers the battery measuring circuit might be in the computer not in the battery. If the circuit is inside the pack you can discharge it with a resistor or a small bulb (12V 5W) but not unattended since a completely flat battery might give you further problems.

I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Many laptob batteries involve inbuilt memory wich is modified by the computer and/or by battery wich tells via battery "fuel gauge" that capacity left in battery, and that data sometimes may be corrupter/misinterpreted. In that case, that particular eeprom must be resetted.