Electronics-Lab.com Community

110-120v device in Australia (240v)

Hello, I recently imported a logitech mx-1000 mouse from the US and I was just wondering if it will work in Australia using a plug adaptor or will I need a transformer? Thanks

On the AC-DC adaptor that came with the mouse it has the following information-

Input :100-120v ~ 50/60Hz 0.25A
Output: 8Vv-- 500mA

Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

I am assuming that you are talking about a recharger for the mouse as I have never heard of a mouse running of a plug pack before. If this is the case then all you need to do is go to Dick Smith or Jaycar and buy an 8V 500mA plug pack with the same output plug and you should be ok. One point to note though is that you haven't said if the 8V is AC or DC. This will make a huge difference and maybe also a huge plume of smoke. Ok, maybe a bit of an over kill. But it won't do it any good if you use the wrong one. Check the plug pack you have now and it should say 8V AC or DC.

I assume that it is DC because on the adaptor that came with the mouse it says "AC-DC adaptor". Yes I am talking about the recharger/receiver for the mouse. On the actual recharger/receiver (where the AC-DC adaptor plugs in) it has the following information-

Rating: 5V---100mA
13V---500mA(DC plug)

I have been looking around the house at all my spare AC DC adaptors to see if I have any similar ones to the ones that my mouse recharger/receiver needs. Some of them are rated-

input 240v ~50Hz 0.1A
output 3.6v --- 600mA

input AC 100-240V 50-60Hz 150mA
output DC 5.7V 800mA

input: 240VAC 50Hz 30mA
output:4.8VDC 350mA

I am guessing that its a bad idea to try any of my other AC DC adaptors in it? Thanks

Well I ended up using an old mobile phone AC DC adaptor and guess what? It works! :) I was a bit surprised because the specs of the adaptor were only-

input AC 100-240V 50-60Hz 150mA
output DC 5.7V 800mA

It still worked perfectly (just finished my first charge of the mx-1000 battery and have had no problems with it.

Thanks to windoze killa for the help , much appreciated.

ps The mx-1000 rules