Electronics-Lab.com Community

difference b/w high frequency & transformer based inverters

what is the difference between a high frequency and a transfomer based inverter.
i read some where that transformer based systems have a load surge capacity of upto 200% but a high frequency system cannot exceed its surge capacity specified. i know  that by using a high frequency allows the use of a smaller step up transformer but what about the excess electrical noise generated. can a high freq inverter drive all type of loads like fans, motor, TV sets. which one is the better choice?

what happened guys no replies. i just wanted to know that can a hugh freq inverter drive normal transformer based power supplies correctly. generally all appliances are rated at 50/60Hz. SMPS based systems may not have a problem but what about normal TV sets which generally use the line volatge as the horizontal sweep freq. the transformer based appliances may make a buzzing noise. any comments guys ???

High sukhbinder!

I don't think a tv-set use the mains frequency and its voltage for anything else than the SMPS and the degaussing circuit, Tv-sets have mains rectifier and are primary switched.
The horizontal sweep is not the same as the mains frequency but for the vertical it is, the refresh rate is 50/60hz, a tv has a 50/60Hz free running oscillator that is locked when there is a incoming signal (50 or 60Hz) otherwise the picture would roll up or down.
Haven't tried myself to drive a mains transformer with square wave but one thing I know is that electrical motors driven by a square wave do make some extra noise :)
I think indulis is one among the members that can answer this question.

High sukhbinder!

I don't think a tv-set use the mains frequency and its voltage for anything else than the SMPS and the degaussing circuit, Tv-sets have mains rectifier and are primary switched.
The horizontal sweep is not the same as the mains frequency but for the vertical it is, the refresh rate is 50/60hz, a tv has a 50/60Hz free running oscillator that is locked when there is a incoming signal (50 or 60Hz) otherwise the picture would roll up or down.
Haven't tried myself to drive a mains transformer with square wave but one thing I know is that electrical motors driven by a square wave do make some extra noise :)
I think indulis is one among the members that can answer this question.

That really has nothing to do with his question. He wants to know the difference between inverters that convert 12VDC (I assume) to 120VAC or 240VAC.

To answer your question you really must have a use in mind. You mention TVs and also Motors. Each one has totally different startup characteristics. The TV you would easily get away with a high frequency inverter but the motors surge current maybe too much for it. If weight is not of concern then I would go for the transformer based one. Having said that you can get some pretty hefty high frequency ones that can power most things. The benefit of a HF one is its stability to varying loads.

thanks guys for all ur suggestions. i'm  planning to get one inverter for my home, so space and weight are not much concern here. high freq inverters are surely compact in size and are more suited to portable use like for camping. also they have limited surge capacities i.e. they cannot take a surge beyond their rating. transformer inverters have a high surge rating. i was looking at a 800VA model at a manufacturers site which gave a max surge of 2400VA. since i'll be needing to mostly run fans and lights, the transformer based one will be better.

can any one explain me the relation between  VA and Watts.
i read in my B.Sc.(H) Electronics degree that W is for DC power and VA is AC power. or more appropriately DC power= VxI and AC power=VxIxCosǿ (power factor)

i read somewhere that 800VA~500W. any help here ???

That really has nothing to do with his question. He wants to know the difference between inverters that convert 12VDC (I assume) to 120VAC or 240VAC.

Sorry not my menaing to mix things up, I just wanted to explane the difference between horizontal and vertical frequency.
No need to hang out my previous post just because it didn't stick exactley to his original question.

My post was about this:

i just wanted to know that can a hugh freq inverter drive normal transformer based power supplies correctly. generally all appliances are rated at 50/60Hz. SMPS based systems may not have a problem but what about normal TV sets which generally use the line volatge as the horizontal sweep freq. the transformer appliances may make a buzzing noise.