Electronics-Lab.com Community

60VDC 10A Power supply design.

I need to build a 60~65VDC 10A Power supply to run one of the servo motors for my CNC Mill.  I will be using the 182U30 Transformer from this page http://www.hammondmfg.com/182.htm.  What is the most cost effective way to drop the voltage from the rectified ~80VDC down to 60 or 65VDC ?  I have considered a high voltage switching regulator but would like to keep the parts count (and cost) down if possible.

Any ideas.

Thanks,
WeaSiL

P.S. I just found these forums and hope to be here quite a bit more in the future.

After some more research I was able to find and purchase some TL783 High Voltage regulators.  These appear to be exactly what I need for the initial regulation and have the same general use as an LM317 type regulator.  My question now is how do I take the output of that regulator and have a transistorised output capable of 10A?  I have been able to build the supply with a much lower current but equal voltage with another transformer and when I load the supply down the voltage drop across the load increases to ~77VDC.  What type of transformers can I use that are capable of the required output and how can I use the output of the regulators to determine their voltage?

There is no reason I can't use a switching regulator.  I just have no experience with them at all.  Suggestions and design ideas would be greatly appreciated though and I will certainly evaluate all my possibilities.

What type of switching regulator and how do I implement it?

Thanks,
WeaSiL