Electronics-Lab.com Community

Inverter Question

I have been a member just a short time at this forum.  I run across many different ideas, schematics, opinions, etc., about 12vdc/110-220vac, xxxWatt inverters.  Enough to create its own thread.  So many, I have to ask:

Has anyone compiled or analyzed all of the different info on inverter projects submitted, to come to a conclusion as to the best one based on cost, ease of construction, parts availability, etc., and come up with the best plans on this forum??

I am considering building an inverter for camping and emergency home and ham radio purposes.  After the big blackout a few years ago, I considered getting a generator, but with the cost of gas, I am considering other options.  Besides, durring that blackout, most stations had not power to pump gas.  Those who did, gouged!!!

Which one is best?  Can a link to the schematics be posted for me to find???

oldgrandpainmi

I wouldn't bother with the many square wave inverter schematics posted all over. Square wave is not good for some equipment. All AC appliances were made to be run on a sine wave. Although this does not matter for some equipment, it will certainly make a differences in others devices. You could see differences ranging from clocks not keeping the correct time to long term damage due to the waveform used.

You can actually buy a sine wave inverter for less than it would cost to build one.

MP

MP,

As far as "buying -vs- building"--- maybe!  I get a lot of scrap parts in my job.  except for a few parts, I may be able to build cheaper.  I don't know until I look at a schematic.  I am considering building an analog ESR meter that I know is cheaper to build than buy.

Yeah, as far as square -vs- sine, sine, sine for electronics gear, but square is ok for emergency lighting and camping. 

OGPIM