Electronics-Lab.com Community

rosin flux

The experts say that barbequed meat and its smoke are carcinogenic due to the very high temp changing the meat and smoke is bad.
If you don't have a temperature-controlled soldering iron (mine is a Weller) then the rosin in solder will be well over-cooked too. A soldering iron shouldn't burn the rosin, the rosin should melt then steam off during soldering.

Guest 65ShelbyClone

I know it isn't good to breathe and especially if the solder has lead, but I've wondered about this as well. I don't have even have 40 hours of soldering accumulated yet, but I've always had tendencies toward self-preservation...

You do not want to breath the fumes from the flux. Yes, it is considered a carcinogenic. You can find this information in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). All manufacturers must provide an MSDS sheet if you ask for it.

Here is the MSDS link to one brand of flux:
http://www.ee.ryerson.ca:8080/~jkoch/MSDS_Sheets/MG_MSDS_835-liquid.htm

Here is another:
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=18018039

Take care when soldering. Use a bench mount fan that will pull the fumes through a filter if you have this available to you.

MP

Guest 65ShelbyClone

$325 for a fan, tube and filter is too much no matter how you slice it.

If you have a decent fan drawing air away from you and good ventilation anyway, I think you'd be fine. For $325 you could probably find a whole used(although small) fume hood.

Yeah, like I said, you could just build your own system. These expensive ones pull the air through a HEPA filter which is pretty expensive in itself. Unless you do a lot of soldering, I would not worry too much about it. A small DC fan to move the fumes away from your face would be a plus.

MP

hELLO ImperialGuardWH40K
        If you are just doing soldering with your hobbies and are worried about the smoke and lead you might check into something like this.
http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15166+TL
                                                    Have Fun
                                                    gogo

Firstly, life is a terminal disease.

Secondly, walking outside is carcinogenic with all the vehicle fumes. The benzene in Unleaded fuel is 10 times more carcinogenic than the leaded fuel it replaced.

Resin flux is generally a pine resin with additives. In its liquid form it is safe. It is only when it is heated or burnt it becomes dangeous. Any form of smoke is carcinogenic so as the others have said if you burn the flux and produce smoke then it MAY be dangerous.

I have been sniffing flux fumes for 30 years and it hasn't affected me.

heheheh hohohohho hahahahahh  ::)  :-\

See. Hasn't affected me at all.