Electronics-Lab.com Community

Choose the right battery

Hi,
I'm thinking that, is it possible for me to use the battery of the motorcycle as the source for my project?
For example, a Yamaha SS Two's battery. But i don't know the voltage and the rest of the info about that, i just want to know whether it can be used or not.
Can i use a voltage regulator with it to get the voltage i want?

It is because, i don't want to use so many AA batteries for the project. Or, does anyone can give any suggestion?

Thanks  ;D

bananasiong

Hi bananasiong,

Welcome to our forum,

Yes you can use a motorcycle battery for your projects! You can also have different output voltages with the help of a regulator as long as the difference between the input and output voltages are high enough. Many regulators need 3 Volts difference but some will work with as low as 1 Volt.
Beware though; this kind of battery must be handled with care. The short circuit current is very high and could cause serious burns. They sometimes emit hydrogen which is explosive and if you tip them over the acid might spill and destroy almost anything.  ;)