Electronics-Lab.com Community

DIY Power conditioner (for mains 230V)?

Hello folks! Anyone ever got involved in a DIY Power Conditioner? Capable to handle at least 1000VA. Please share thoughts and/or schematics.

Does anyone know if this cheap APC Line-R 1200VA Power Conditioner is any worth at all? I find it strange to be so low in price (about 50euros here) when professional power conditioner cost a hell lot more.

Thanx a lot!

you're kidding me! Is it such a complicated device this power conditioner thing? No one of you electricity experts ever built or planned to build one from scratch? Apart from being very interested in building one for my needs, I am also so curious to find out why conditioners (AVR whatever they are called) are so expensive even in the low Watt range. Also all these AVR advertised UPSs do anything at all to regulate the mains voltage or is it just a "theoritical" AVR?

Sorry if i'm putting up primitive questions and sorry that I don't have the time to investigate this thing all the way by myself. I need some guidance, somewhere to start, please. Comments, links, cheers, swears...something

Thank you all and best regards!!! Nick

The performance is determined by the cost.

Some cheap "power line conditioners" consist of a pair of cheap MOV's that slice off spikes.
Some expensive UPS's use a custom-made very large and expensive tuned ferro-resonant transformer that regulates the AC voltage and fills-in short duration loss of mains power.

That's my two cents but I am not an "electricity" expert.

Hi Nick,

How’s your audio console PSU running these days? Is this the next stage of improvements?
I am not an expert in filtering power but I thought I might add something.
There is a jungle of filters out there called different names as; ground loop isolation transformer for hum reduction, isolated conditioners, balanced power devices, UPS and more!

Here is a couple of nice ‘filters’: http://home.comcast.net/~thomasw_2/CheapskateBP1.html
http://home.comcast.net/~thomasw_2/CheapskateBP4.html

This is audio but also filtering: http://www.theaudioworx.com/

I believe these will keep you busy for a while! ;D

greetings Audioguru! Hi Ante! Glad u remember me!

Our console's PSUs were finally relieved from their pain with some great BHC filter caps and a neat job refurbishing almost everything. A big fan (a home-use one) cools them down especially on these hot summer days that they need it so much.

Thanx a LOT for these links, they are really very helpful! I will come back when my knowledge is stronger and am preparing to build a regulator or a balanced power transformer or both!

Meanwhile if anyone has a suggestion, sharing it would be wonderful. Especially for DIY 230V single-phase regulation.

thanx again! take care