Electronics-Lab.com Community

PCB drill press design

Hello rybitski
    Dremel  all ready makes a small drill press stand that you can attach you drill to. It only cost about 30 bucks and it pretty sturdy, don't know I guess if you can come up with something better for less that might be good.
    I bought a cheep drill press for under a 100 bucks, a small benchtop one. Best 100 bucks I ever spent.
                                              Have fun
                                                gogo

But think, that $30 I just saved went towards buying more pcb supplies, or better yet, That variable temperature soldering iron that I've always wanted...

In my search I did run across the Dremel press (for $30 as you mentioned), but making something is always more fun? :)

I was using an off brand dremel tool with a grind stone attached to it...
Result: I broke the drive transmission, which is only a spring... Maybe since I broke my rotary tool I don't need that drill press any more.
I kind of fixed it, but it is a little bit off balance, so at high speeds the tool vibrates alot. :'(

Someone gave me an old Musket scanner, a very compact unit. Mine only had 1 bar...
And just think, our own modderator throwing out a perfectly re-usable scanner.... ;D

Yeah, the mechanical parts where fine but the scanner sent out smoke signals after the wall wart got faulty serving 30 Volts to the unit in stead of 16! A pcb with plenty of surface mounts got fried and I signed the death certificate immediately! I saved the plastic covers, the glass and the lid for a future project, a UV light box.

B T W, 100 posts….. You are now a full member Chris! Congrats! ;D

Ok, so here it is... (so far)
347496958%7Ffp33%3A%3Enu%3D3262%3E898%3E
The actual mountfor the dremel is not yet made and It needs another lever arm on the oposite side to keep it from binding.

I put some springs on the rods and they work great (thanks for the suggestion sarathk) ;)

SO that is the update, again any comments/ improvements are welcome ;D

Another lever arm might not prevent the thing from sticking. The picture is not clear enough to show if any of the joints (screws) have some sideways slack, it should have because the distance between the two screws varies as the tool holder slides up and down. ???

I think it will help because, when you push down with even force on both sides of the 'trolley' as I like to call it, it moves up and down smoothly.

he picture is not clear enough to show if any of the joints (screws) have some sideways slack, it should have because the distance between the two screws varies as the tool holder slides up and down.  ???

I'm not sure what you mean by this, could you please explain.

When I magnified the pic I could see you got it right! If you need it to push on both sides make the lever arm in one piece (U-shape) and put a hinge on the back of the press, something like this:
The red thing is supposed to be a hinge, the blue is the lever and the view is from above! ;D

I have a bad habbit of starting too many projects at one time and then taking a while to get them all finished...  :-\
So I kind of put this project on hold because I wanted to make a laser show (mirrors attached to spining motors to manipulate a laser)... It will get finished, just not right away...

Projects I am working on: (or lack of working on)
Pool pump control
Mini drill press
Laser show
Electronic jewelry things
cleaning the work shop
555 timer based metrenome
various other things I get distracted with...

The PCB keychains I make (and try to sell) on my website got some recognition this morning on hackedgadgets.com, take a look: http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/07/02/pcb-keychain/#more-353

ANYWAY, I'll be sure to update with pictures when something interesting happens with this project. :)

I'm looking for a drill press design for drilling pcb using a dremel, any ideas?
I think this has already been done some where, but why not disscuss it? Besides, It kind of dissapoints me that the hardware section is kind of empty... :'(

Dremel makes one. The dremel fits in it perfectly....or did you already know this?

MP

• 9 months later...

Hi blueroomelectronics,

The type drill press you provided in the pic is not a good choice for PCB drilling.

Remember, when looking at a press other than a dremel always firmly grab the chuck (jaw) and shake it to feel if their is ANY horizontal movement.
Typically, PCB drilling requires an index from #55 - #60 which are extremely thin bits/rasps.
Any horizontal movement concerning the chuck can easily cause a distorted hole.
The picture you provided (drill press) is more oriented to chassis hole drilling etc...

A dremel is the perfect drill for PCB use since the chuck is directly connected to the motor shaft.
Furthermore, purchase the dremel press since it is matched for the dremel drill!
Honestly, i like to use a dremel off of the press (hand use) since i can achieve a good feel for required pressure.
However, if you plan to use a dremel (hand use) always make sure your drilling is a straight pass through the PCB, avoid any angle etc...