Electronics-Lab.com Community

Stereo to Mono

Guest nanop

It depends what it is.
If it is a stereo power amplifier then you can't just short the two outputs together, damage will occur.
If the stereo outputs are from opamps then you also can't just short them together.
You need an adder circuit to add the left channel and the right channel to get mono.
An adder can simply be two resistors, one in series with the output of each channel, and joined together to make mono. The resistor values depend on the stereo output impedances and the mono input impedance. Try 10k for each resistor.

I am not a "RF" person, but to the best of my knowledge, FM (Frequency Modulation) is a "line-of-sight" transmission, in other words, if you drive behind a mountain, which blocks "line-of-sight" to the transmission antenna, you will loose the signal. If the signal got so weak that the receiver couldn't detect that it was stereo, I suppose you could look at that as receiving it as "mono" signal to a greater distance.

You guys had me worried for a while with all that talk about Post Amp signal Mixing.

Whew.

Yea, the Way it happens is all thanks to the Zenith/GE pilot tone multiplex system.
But if that fancy widget fails, you can still get a mono signal.  The result is the combo of both left and right signals just like in the world of AM.

And all that without shoring out your A-class amplifiers.

But where is the fun in that.

-Mike