Electronics-Lab.com Community

Remote Data Logger (GPRS Perhaps?)

Hi :),

First time poster but may I say what a great forum and im sorry i did not find this sooner - in my favourites ;).

Im trying to do the following project:

(1) I have a few sensors located at different "sheds" out in quite remote area. I want to take the data from the sensors back to my house or take it to a hosted server which would be even better :).

(2) The sensors are working fine and I have no problem with power etc. I can also set up and configure a web server at home if required.

(3) However, the problem is getting the data from the sensors back to either my own private server or to a hosted/shared server >:( .

I was going to use RFID technology to take the data from the sensors to a RFID reader which would be connected toa phoneline within 100m of the sensor which in turn would contact my home server. However, I cannot use much power at each sensor so the "active" RFID modules must be used but these are way too expensive.

So, I need a solution that is
(1) cheap (not more than $80 or $100 max)
(2) Uses very low power at the sensors if possible.

Possible Solution
I was thinking of using very low powered GSM or GPRS modules to take the data from the remote sensors to a hosted web server. However, most mosules seem very expensive. Any ideas please share them???

Also, if anyone has any alternative ideas for me please share them also.

many thanks for any help.

Dermot

Hi finnpark,

Welcome to our forum,

A few questions; how far are the “sheds” located from your house? How many sensors per shed and how many sheds? Is it necessary to have continuous feed from the sensors or is it OK to have them switch on for a few seconds (to save energy) every hour for an update? Are the sheds in sight from your house, I am thinking.. maybe laser?

Have I forgot something.. oh yes some answers :-\, well I guess it takes some brainstorming first ! ;D

Thanks for the reply.

Distance wise we would be talking less than half a km in most cases. They would not be line of sight though >:(

Yes there would be only 1 transmission per day required, say each day at Midnight so the rest of the time they could turned off while a microcontroller would be on all the time waiting for midnight to arrive to initialize transmission.

I have come across these AM RF modules. They are low power, wireless and can get a distance upto 4000m :o. Here is the link to them but I wonder do any of you see any flws or am I missing something because they seem too good to be true:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290008540918&fromMakeTrack=true

I think you can use a GSM or GRPS module to design this system.
When the sensors in different places get the data,and then can send the data through the GSM or GPRS module to your center.
If the data information is just a little,you can try to use the SMS to send .and also can use this channel to control the sensors to start or stop to get the data.

==============================================
Extract the code from the Protected MCU.
We provide the best MCU service.
www.wafersensor.com
[email protected]

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice.

In relation to GPRS, GSM or SMS can anyone point me to cheap low power modules?

Will let you know how i get on. ;)

Also, I want to transmit data from one phone to a server PC either directly down the line via 2 hardware interfaces at each end or from transmitter phone/modem to a remote server (IP address, web page etc).? Basically, Im trying to get data down a phone line to  a server. Any ideas? Thanks.