Electronics-Lab.com Community

Whats a switching diode?

slackjack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

as the name indicates,it is device which is used in electric devices as fast on -off switch.when diode is in forward bias condition then the diode is in on state i.e.the electric ckt is on and if diode id in reverese bias state then diode is in off state i.e. electric ckt is in off state.thus doide will act as a switch and hence caled as switching diode. :)

... when diode is in forward bias condition then the diode is in on state i.e.the electric ckt is on and if diode id in reverese bias state then diode is in off state i.e. electric ckt is in off state.thus doide will act as a switch and hence caled as switching diode.

This is a little misleading in that ALL diodes exhibit this phenomena, forward bias-on, reverse bias-off, not just switching diodes... the "switching" part of the name refers to speed as it relates to reverse recovery, not it's "action"!! There are also diode's which exhibit a "soft" reverse recovery characteristic, and some with a "ultra-fast" recovery characteristic. Diodes like the 1N914 and 1N4148 are lumped into a catagory called "small signal diodes".