Electronics-Lab.com Community

max2606 FM transmitter/ipod dock

I'm making an ipod dock with an FM transmitter. (max2606)  I finished the schematic, and I'm 99.9% sure it's correct.  I just have 2 concerns.

1.  the audio in that I'm using isn't grounded to anything, should I ground it?
2. does the battery circuit look right?  do i need to add an additional ground or capacitor?

wow,

that circuit looks really confusing to me. I'm not sure if it'll work or not. The audio input should definitly should be grounded. If ur using a male audio jack.plug, the part at the tip should grounded to the (-) of the battery.

BTW,  if u want to make it for an ipod dock, there r some things u should know:

-u need a receiver
-Your circuit only broadcasts audio in MONO, which wouldn't be the best quality

I think that u should probaly build other FM transmitters, or buy them like the one especially made for the Ipods at Radioshack,Target, and many other stores. They cost $29.99 and work really well!

For future reference, only one topic is needed. I got confused about which should I post this on.  ;D

The MAX2606 is made for child's toys. Besides transmitting in mono, its radio frequency will drift all over the place and its sound will not have treble audio frequencies because the circuit doesn't have pre-emphasis which is the treble boost that FM radio stations have. On an FM radio the sound will be like an AM radio or like your stereo with its treble control turned all the way down.

The $30.00 stereo FM transmitters that are made for ipods use a quartz crystal and a phase-locked-loop circuit so that their radio frequency is stable. They have pre-emphasis so that they sound correctly. Their circuit looks like this Micromitter project:
http://electronics-diy.com/schematics/BH1417_fm_transmitter.htm