Electronics-Lab.com Community

Electronic Fuel injection enhancer

not being an electronics wiz like many on here i need someone to verify that this schematic i found will work for what it says it will and wont fry my car ecu in the process.

here is the schematic
controller.gif

got it from this website
http://better-mileage.com/memberadx.html

website says it will help me to lean out my air fuel mixture by limiting the voltage to between about 500 mV and 0 volts instead of between 1 volt and 0 volts.

can someone review it for me and make sure everything looks good before i go through the trouble of trying to make a PCB for it and assembling it just to find out it doesn't work.

Thanx in advance

forgot to add i will only be using this on the highway until i get the electrolysis system up and running correctly.  I drive about 43 miles on way to school, round trip of about 86 miles every day.  I figure at highway speeds i will have enough airflow to counter any increase in temps.  And since i am just cruising power is not really gonna matter.  For city driving or anything not on a highway i will cut off the system.

depends on how lean you run the engine.  i have a honda civic, so the engine is pretty durable.  Also i don't plan on running it extremly lean.  Just a little lean, like around 15.6:1 instead of 14.7:1.  i also plan on using a wideband o2 to do the tuning so it will be more accurate than the cars stock narrowband.

For running leaner, couldn't you a) reprogram the ECU or b) trick the O2 sensor to think that it is runner richer than what it really is?

FWIW, I have learned from experience that it is not always a good idea to "customize" your car. Modifying your car engine can have unintended side-affects and also hurt the resale value.

i k
Yes and no on running hotter.  Running lean will cause the engine temp to go up somewhat but it will not increase the nitrogen oxides.  the amount of nitrogen oxides will go down and the amount of oxygen will increase.

atleast according to this website
http://better-mileage.com/mixture.html

Running lean does increase nitrogen oxides. The problem is, is that air is comprised of like 75%-80% nitrogen and 20% of oxygen. So, if you use more air per gas, then more the nitrogen becomes a part of the exhaust. Unfortunately, without using pure oxygen gas, your nitrogen oxides do increase.

Doing a quick google search, it looks like NOx stuff is pretty bad. Nitrous Oxide (N2O) is laughing gas.

According to http://www.alphanutrition.com/environment/carsepa.htm

"Under the high pressure and temperature conditions in an engine, nitrogen and oxygen atoms in the air react to form various nitrogen oxides, collectively known as NOx. Nitrogen oxides, like hydrocarbons, are precursors to the formation of ozone. They also contribute to the formation of acid rain. Catalytic converters, the part of car exhaust systems designed to break down  nitrogen gases are actually forming nitrous oxide - 300 times more potent than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas.  Nitrous oxide makes up about 7.2 percent of the gases cited in global warming, the USA EPA said in a study published spring 1998. Vehicles fitted with catalytic converters produced nearly half of that nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide also comes from nitrogen-based fertilizer and manure from farm animals."

For running leaner, couldn't you a) reprogram the ECU or b) trick the O2 sensor to think that it is runner richer than what it really is?

already looked into it.  The ECU my car has uses the OKI 66507 MCU which is an one time programming.  I could get my own chip to replace the current one but a blank chip is around 200.

Also i will be adding in pure oxygen, atleast with the hydrogen injection system.  How much pure o2 will be added idk, but i do know that there will be some in there.

As for why car companies don't make lean burning cars.

some do like honda with the Civic HX which has VTEC-E and the insight also has it.  As for the rest of the car companies idk.

Whiteout changing the compression ratio you will only get a less efficient and damaged engine! The ECU will delay the ignition timing and cause a higher temperature inside; pistons, exhaust valves and turbocharger (if you got one) are at risk here. Depending on the shape of the combustion camber it’s also possible to damage the engine with premature detonations unless your engine has a knock sensor. 8)

Also i will be adding in pure oxygen, atleast with the hydrogen injection system.  How much pure o2 will be added idk, but i do know that there will be some in there.

It sounds like your on your way to revolutionizing the way our cars are powered. However, before you do that, maybe you should have a little fun first and consider a Nitrous kit for your car? At least you'll get to school a little faster! You might end up paying more for speeding tickets though.

Whiteout changing the compression ratio you will only get a less efficient and damaged engine! The ECU will delay the ignition timing and cause a higher temperature inside; pistons, exhaust valves and turbocharger (if you got one) are at risk here. Depending on the shape of the combustion camber it’s also possible to damage the engine with premature detonations unless your engine has a knock sensor. 8)

i plan on adding some sort of knock sensor.